The EU's new Link Tax bans the use of Creative Commons and open access for news

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/28/unwaivable-rights.html

2 Likes

So did this Axel Voss added a poison rider to deliberately kill the Copyright Directive?

Brought to you by Greed and Control.

6 Likes

The point is that if I choose to give away my creative work product freely, under the proposed law I am guilty of unfair competition with those who make a profit from similar things.

Is copyright an inalienable right, so that I cannot give it away? Well, then I answer, if it is inalienable, then your authors, programmers, artists, inventors and musicians, who sold you publishers their rights, similarly own them inalienably. That sword cuts both ways.

If I cannot give away my property, I do not own it. Most of what I do in the open source world, I do out of a sense of social obligation. Trying to outlaw charity is depraved.

11 Likes

Unlikely.
He’s the rapporteur for the Copyright Directive.
He’s your run-of-the-mill conservative who doesn’t quite know what he’s voted for, but he thinks he’s doing good for artists and journalists. Maybe he is even getting paid for it, who knows.

3 Likes

Why would they call it “Rectal 32?”

1 Like

So as not to be confused with the other ass holes

2 Likes

i, i, i, i…
i, i, i, i…
i don’t know

(to the tune of I Like You Very Much, by Carmen Miranda)

(Do you see what i did there?)

1 Like

I wonder what will happen when the EU realizes that as far as the Internet is concerned, they don’t exist anymore.

2 Likes

@doctorow’s link on “Article 11” is back to this article. Clever.

For those of us interested in the text of the article, is there an actual link? A casual duckduck search leads only to other blogs. (I want to see the technical definition of “news”, as I run an academic journal where the articles are CC licensed and we encourage links to us.)

1 Like

#aaronslaw

What a friggen nightmare. So many enemies.

This reminds me of a post a few years ago on Facebook, where I joked about Cory Doctorow being prosecuted for self-publishing a book, rather than using one of the big publishers. I hope I didn’t give them any ideas.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.