The FBI's Gary Gygax file calls the original Dungeon Master "eccentric and frightening"

I had always heard his home group knew him so well even Tomb of Horrors didn’t catch them off guard. Nothing a good ten foot pole can’t solve I guess.

1 Like

Yup, same here. Early edition of the White Box. It had just started becoming available again; most of the copies of the rules I’d seen were xeroxed copies.

T&T was more available; that is what my cousin and I got first.

16 Likes

That’s why I play Warhammer.:smirk:

1 Like

I had a letter published in Dragon magazine in '79 (probably). I’m still riding that high.

Edit: Nope. I just googled it. '83.

6 Likes

BTW, since we have a good collection of RPG geek Boingers here: the online RPG at…

…had been cruising along nicely, but we’ve just had a couple of players go AWOL. If anyone feels like stepping in (either to take over a character or to make a new one), you’d be more than welcome.

No system knowledge required.

2 Likes

I got a fan letter in an Infocom rag, I believe it was the New Zork Times, back in the day, (c '85) It was awesome! I feel you!

2 Likes

According to DX COHEN of California, Gygax offered his weapon, a bludgeoning implement described as a “+1 Mace” to one PJ FRY of NY, NY in the final seconds of 1999. Timing possibly suggests some ritualistic intention. FRY immediately engaged in unspecified property damage using the weapon, which REDACTED, a former high-level government official, described as a critical error on GYGAX’ part with the potential to “destroy the space-time continuum.”

6 Likes

I vaguely recall one official adventure (perhaps not a D&D one) where the GM was specifically instructed to fake a dice roll and then announce a result that would push the story forward. This re-enforced the idea with me that story does come first and that the tables and dice are a GM’s tools rather than the raison d’etre of an RPG.

2 Likes

New Zork Times. Good one.

2 Likes

Created an account just to thank you for the laugh.
Really cheered me up on a sad day.

3 Likes

Dungeons & Dragons is NOT a division of Hasbro. It is a product line and brand of Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast is owned by Hasbro.

When I was 10 and just sort of dimly becoming aware of the Satanic panic over D&D, I remember thinking that “Gygax” did sound rather demonic.

“I summon Juiblex!”
"I summon Gygax!"

3 Likes

The Hasborg assimilated all other game companies awhile back. It was a dark day, they devoured one company after another after another, sparing nothing to get a full monopoly. But the upside was that indie companies and foreign companies then had a chance to make an entry. So now we have Eurogames, a wide variety of free and open RPGs, and while wargames may be more niche than ever, they live on with probably more variety than ever.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Image by Nick Wedig. D&D 5e and 5e basic not pictured

4 Likes

late by a few days, but the day I found out oh we can just have battles with the miniatures? all downhill from there…

5 Likes

So many varieties of WWII European theater campaigns…

2 Likes

Way back when, I was surprised to learn that Gygax was his real surname. Do you think D&D would have become so popular if it were created by Gary Smith?

I’m also amused by the juxtaposition between his quirky last name and his completely boring first name.

1 Like

Advanced Squad Leader did pretty well and it was designed by the dull as dishwater sounding Don Greenwood.