The final episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation aired today in 1994

I can see that, but I think the idea isn’t as creative as he thinks it is. :grin: A space station is a pretty logical extension of the genre.

I think creative people always overvalue ideas and undervalue implementations. Ideas are worthless. A pair of long-running shows consistently produced to be excellent are priceless.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Hell, the whole reason they passed on the JMS pitch could plausibly be they were already in the early stages of developing DS9.

2 Likes

In JMS’ defence, he was always quite open about the possibility that it was a coincidence and even went so far as to cast Majel Barret in a major guest spot in order to symbolically build bridges between Babylon 5 and Trek fandom.

But when the final DS9 episode came out - a year or two after B5 finished up and featured captain Sisko transcending his physical form in a manner similar but not identical to Sheridan’s final fate in B5 he was very angry and his tone over DS9 soured massively. Not enough that he didn’t pitch a Trek reboot to Paramount a little bit after Enterprise was cancelled, but still.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.