The finns invented a chair that can right itself after being knocked over

5 Likes

I hope this company does have innovations that help keep plastics out of the environment but looking a bit through their website and background I’m not 100% convinced that they aren’t doing a bit of greenwashing here.

They are a plastics manufacturer after all. Part of their website says:

7 Likes

Huh. Named for Lasse Viren. Haven’t heard that name in quite some time. @vermes82 or @LurksNoMore, is he still talked about in Finland?

2 Likes

Clever, but is this some how a huge need in Finland? Do they knock chairs over with such regularity that a there is a general need for self righting chairs? :thinking:

1 Like

chumbawamba-tubthumping

7 Likes

Likely coincidental: Alcoholism is a very big problem there. 1.5 million (mostly women) out of a population 5.5 million are alcoholics. (Note: These may not be the very latest figures.)

2 Likes

There’s a statue of him and he’s still alive.

Links to English language version.

Here’s the fall:

1da0934d8f16461fae1fcb6a0091aa54

It’s much easier to win if you take a nap during the race.

Oh and fuck Fortum.

6 Likes

What I’d like is a chair that rights me after I fall off it.

6 Likes

Cool an’ all, but as @Skeptic already alluded to, what’s the use case?

Chairs are generally stable which is why we enjoy sitting on them (notwithstanding a fad a while back for unstable chairs that IMO weren’t so much fun to sit on). And this particular chair needs clear space to do it’s one cool trick - so in a crowded bar or kitchen it’s functionality as a self-righting object is probably compromised.

So it’s just ‘Design for Debate’.

Design for Debate grinds my gears! If you have the wherewithal to identify a problem, you should probably make an attempt to solve the problem rather than just ‘Raise Awareness’.

Is it still valid to comment on our environment being destroyed by plastic waste by selling plastic chairs for a profit? Or is this just rearranging plastic chairs on the Titanic?

We’ve been talking about this for decades! Fuck off already!

5 Likes

Not really talked about, at least not in my circles, but if I showed this chair to any of my friends (age range 25 to 45 or so), they would immediately get the name. Viren’s part of the national memory for at least a generation more, I’d imagine.

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured it was a generational thing. TBH, non-running older Americans may not know or remember him. An older running generation may remember him from the Munich Olympics, but I’m not sure how many young runners know Viren. My guess is that young elite runners may have a coach who introduced them to his Viren’s famous race in 1972. Never give up, never surrender.

@vermes82 thanks for posting the photo of the statue. He’s definitely worth remembering.

2 Likes

Source: INFORMATION ON THE NORDIC
ALCOHOL MARKET 2020/1
https://www.alko.fi/INTERSHOP/static/WFS/Alko-OnlineShop-Site/-/Alko-OnlineShop/fi_FI/pdf_t/Muut%20pdf_t/NordicAlcoholMarket2020.pdf

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.