The first COVID vaccine you can get is the best

My BF & I got our 1st Moderna shots March 24th, and will get our 2nd ones April 21st.

After filling out the online vaccine request forms for two of Detroit’s vaccination centers, we heard back from one a couple days later, and made our appt’s for the very next day!

We arrived to see no one in line to fill out the registration forms, nor to be signed in. When we got to the cafeteria where the shots are administered, the nurses far outnumbered the folks getting shots. We got ours right away (my nurse was wonderful, and she loved my pissed off Felix the Cat t-shirt), and when we sat down at the back for the 15 minute “wait and see if you have a reaction,” there were only five other people.

The injection itself was barely noticeable, and I really hate needles. My BF had no side effects other than a slightly sore arm and feeling a little tired. My arm wound up in tetanus shot territory after a day or two, and I felt like hell for a week. My knees, ankles, and shoulders ached. I was very tired and very sad - I kept crying seemingly for no reason. Mom died last August, and I lost two old friends w/in 3 weeks in March, so maybe it turned the grief into general weepiness. My arm still hurts a little once in a while.

I’m V allergic to flu shots - bad flu symptoms that last two weeks - but there’s no comparison between that reaction and this one. I’m planning to take acetaminophen and go straight to bed after the 2nd shot, though.

7 Likes

I got my J&J on Saturday, felt ok until I had to get up and go to work early Sunday…had I been able to sleep, the side effects probably would have been negligible. Instead, I drove my dumb butt to work and did the bare minimum while trying not to fall over for 8h…then I crashed for 11h…then I felt great!

Now the countdown until we can host our weekly party again, we went for 10 uninterrupted years until all this happened. 6 weeks, then everyone in our circle is fully vaccinated!

5 Likes

This is what happens when there is zero executive leadership from the beginning. There should have been a national rollout strategy and database of eligible and willing patients. I’m sorry you’re having to wade through such BS. If you’re in NY, I’d be happy to share the resources Mrs Peas has used to get her full staff and family appointments. :heart:

7 Likes

Well, not getting the vaccine and getting infected puts you at ~1/10 risk of serious complications, and ~1/100 risk of death.

Weighing all the concerns against each other, the J&J vaccine doesn’t look too bad. Specially if you’re the one. Or the other one.

(TBH: my clinic already called me in for both doses of Pfizer, so I was very happy with that.)

2 Likes

As I said, the math might change if the virus is rampant where you are, but here, where we’re essentially virus free, the only risk for as long for as we contain the virus via social measures is from these side-effects, which makes them unacceptable for the general population.

You might be right. I didn’t do a very deep analysis. All I know is that epidemiology is complicated.

1 Like

I’m not that concerned about that risk from the vaccine, I would rather have that than catch Covid.
I got my first dose of AstraZeneca here in Sydney on Monday, second dose will be 5th July.

3 Likes

The wife and I got our second Pfizer shot a couple weeks ago. Ten hours after the shot I had about 8 hours of alternating between shivering and very hot. Didn’t sleep but by morning everything was fine. It was not unexpected and I’d do it again. Wife was just tired.

If I hear one more person say “why bother because it does not prevent you from getting the virus” I’m going to snap. My state and county hospitals are overwhelmed, the idiots do not understand the goal is to free up hospitals so I can have a heart attack or car accident without worrying about getting into an ER.

We are are planning a Memorial Day backyard bonfire for all our vaccinated freinds and family. Right now it appears that’s not too many, I need different freinds and family

8 Likes

The Office Party Hard GIF

5 Likes

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

4 Likes

Meanwhile, in Japan, they are preparing to maybe start vaccinating people over the age of 60 this month. Maybe. While still working their way through frontline healthcare workers…

3 Likes

and now less that 100 days to the Olympics, not looking good.

1 Like

All tge stats Ive been seeing peg the risk at 1 in 1.3 million.

I’ll take those odds any day, and you should too.

1 Like

For J&J or AstraZeneca? The reported stats for AstraZeneca are 1/100k. Regardless, I don’t have to choose whether to take those odds, as I’m not eligible for the vaccine here any more. Since we have the virus contained here, it seems perfectly reasonable to switch vendors, much as I’d like to see travel etc open up again.

1 Like

Ah I was thinking of the J&J numbers.

All the reporting I’ve seen (which has been out of the UK/EU) has pegged it as 1/250K, which isn’t an order of magnitude different, but is still quite different from 1/100K.

For what it’s worth (possibly not much), there’s an Oxford study out today whose preliminary results indicate that the prevalence of blood clots is about the same after getting any of the vaccines–mRNA and adeonvirus both. (I am moderately-to-highly skeptical of this mostly because of its source–Oxford assisted in developing the AstraZeneca vaccine.)

In any event, it bears repeating that the risk of blood clots–just blood clots, not the numerous other potentially chronic and life-altering effects–from COVID is somewhere between one in twenty and one in five. If I hadn’t already had a J&J vaccine and if AZ were available in my area, I’d absolutely take the AZ vaccine. To the extent the AZ vaccine and J&J vaccines are in fact shown to be causally connected to these blood clots, we’re still talking about the same kind of vanishingly rare injuries that–no matter how tragic and awful on an individual basis when they materialize–are nevertheless the kinds of risks we regularly tolerate in our daily lives. I drove 90 miles each way to get the vaccine. Again, assuming that the vaccines do in fact cause the reported blood clots, my risk of death from that drive was 18 times as high as my risk of getting a blood clot from the J&J vaccine and nearly eight times as high as my risk of getting a blood clot from AZ. (And that’s not factoring in the fact that those 90 miles were largely in Maryland. Have you SEEN how Marylanders drive?)

2 Likes

I got my first pfizer shot on Wednesday. Bay Area Mutants: you can set appointments for the vaccine on myturn.ca.gov. They are taking everyone 16 and older. I am in Alameda, and I went to the coliseum. It was totally smooth and easy. Mid to late afternoon on a weekday had a low volume of people there. Just have mild soreness in my arm, about like a flu shot.

Go get vaccinated!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.