"The Flinstones On The Rocks" was a 1-hour special that aired just once then disappeared

Originally published at: "The Flinstones On The Rocks" was a 1-hour special that aired just once then disappeared | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The show, which debuted in 1960, was not meant for kids.

That’s for sure. From 1961.

14 Likes

“Winston cigarettes were sponsors of such television series as The Beverly Hillbillies and The Flintstones. The former series would show stars Buddy Ebsen, Irene Ryan, and Nancy Kulp extolling the virtues of Winstons while smoking them and reciting the jingle.”

Proto Joe Camel?

11 Likes

This episode was co-directed by Dave Smith, who is now a director at DreamWorks Animation. He was the storyboard artist who was responsible for the “Are We There Yet” sequence with Donkey in Shrek 2 (among many other great bits) He’s been directing on the Trolls Features and remains one of the funniest people at the whole studio. I’m so grateful Mark found this, as Dave showed me the episode on VHS back in 2001 and I’ve had nothing but fever dreams about it since. Yay!

10 Likes

professional image to the original voices rather than flat mimicry

Professional “image”? You meant, perhaps, “homage”?

3 Likes

i don’t think that saying “it wasn’t meant for kids” is accurate. like the Simpsons, it just works on levels that both kids and adults can enjoy.

8 Likes

Hard to believe the ‘mancave’ hadn’t been invented yet.

1 Like

In some vault resides the masters for a Wu-Tang Clan album, the Star Wars Christmas, Flintstones on the Rocks, and The Day the Clown Cried.

What a magical place that must be. … oh ya… and Trump’s pee tape.

1 Like

I knew I recognized Wilma’s voice actress; she also plays Seymour Skinner’s mother.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.