The Foo Fighters cover the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" (1976)

Originally published at: The Foo Fighters cover the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" (1976) | Boing Boing

12 Likes

That’s pretty fun!
They played that at MSG the other night during the encore.
I’ve got tix for the Forum show Sat, I’m sure it will be on the setlist that night as well.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Polyester jump suit? Yes I have one too.

8 Likes

My favorite thing about this is how… um… not-that-into-it that Pat Smear seems.

4 Likes

Dave Grohl always looks to me like he’s having so much pure fun, and still a bit in awe of everyone he gets to play with.

6 Likes

i love that Dave Grohl just does what he loves. “disco sucks”? NOPE, says Dave.

7 Likes

I enjoyed this; rock on, Dave!

4 Likes

OMG. No. Just No.

A few years ago, my BF & I were at a nearby bar for a longtime friend’s gig. Said bar has a jukebox. Some ^&%$#*@ kept on playing all the bee gees songs it contained, over and over again. My back teeth were ground down to nubs by the end of the night, and I told my honey, “Please don’t bring me back here until they get rid of the bee gees on the jukebox.” He is a much more tolerant human than I, but he completely agreed.

4 Likes

This is further proof that Dave Grohl can do no wrong

7 Likes

Well, yeah… if you don’t like the Bee Gees in general, then this cover is definitely not for you.

Different strokes…

6 Likes

:smiley:
Here are the two disco songs I’ve actually loved since their appearance when I was a kid.

God, her range is mindblowing. A great cover of a great song.

Ms Ward was no slouch, neither. Bonus: few works of the disco ouvre are in C minor, too, also.

10 Likes

Both are great songs.

I get it that disco isn’t for everyone, even as I personally have always had an affinity for it.

7 Likes

I’d spend much more time in the world music section than anywhere else in a record store :smiley: I’ve always had a V broad range of musical tastes, but there are some genres that just don’t move me.

ETA: It’s ironic that much of the dance music genre doesn’t move me, and I love dancing.
shrug
tophat-shrug

6 Likes

I like listening to Disco the odd time it comes up but it’s not a genre i like to live in, that said there’s plenty of amazing disco artists and bands so don’t interpret that as me putting it down. As far as disco inspired more modern takes i like Los Amigos Invisibles who are a Venezuelan Acid Disco Latin Funk kinda band:
(From their debut album from the 2000’s)

And i’m a big fan of Diablo Swing Orchestra who do Opera+Metal+Big Band but in the last album they dipped into more genres including disco:

7 Likes

I’m OK with the Bee Gees, but I wish the Foo Fighters had done a little to make this song their own. It didn’t sound new to me, which is what makes a cover interesting. This would be fun to hear in concert, but if I want the Bee Gees, I know where to find them.

8 Likes

David Grohl and the Foo Fighters are doing what they love - and frankly – we all could get out and do some dancing right now! Get the shot and go forth and boogie! I am humbled by artists who are experts in their craft.

3 Likes

My love of the Foo Fighters is balanced by my utter dislike of the Bee Gees and all their songs. Thus we reach true balance, with this song leaving a “meh” impression on me. Good for him, though, for doing what he wants and loves. Edit: and note that there’s quite a lot of disco I like. Just not the Bee Gees.

3 Likes

Not a bad version but can I just mention that Tragedy have been doing this much better for years.

Their version of You Should Be Dancing isn’t all that so I’ll just leave this here:

They’re also a lot of fun live. In fact they were the last band I saw before the pando.

Yep, it could have been anyone really. I like a cover that does something different to the original.

3 Likes

That’s a very faithful cover. Such high energy and fidelity to the original make me appreciate the original more, for some reason. I had the same experience with Jonathan Coulton’s soft rock cover album.