Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and producer Greg Kurstin cover the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" for their "Hanukkah Sessions"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/11/foo-fighters-dave-grohl-and-producer-greg-kurstin-cover-the-beastie-boys-sabotage-for-their-hanukkah-sessions.html

5 Likes

well that was fucking great

6 Likes

God damn i love Dave Grohl

6 Likes

That Dave Grohl is too nice and likable. What’s he hiding?

5 Likes

ITSA MIRAWJ!!!

(annotation added because bbs doesn’t think the above is a complete sentence for some reason).

3 Likes

RECOVERY!!

fuck yeah

6 Likes

3 Likes

He had a rough start. His first band broke up in the worst possible way.

1 Like

Well, there was this episode.

On the other hand, they seem to have gotten past it.

1 Like

Day Two is a cover of a Drake song.

Most of the comments are about how this cover is better than the original.

But the best YT comment:
“Looks like someone is covering the best, the best, the best of Jews.” :rofl:

1 Like

As someone who collected almost all of Weird Al Yankovic’s music, is it a little petty of me to be a bit disappointed that this wasn’t a Hannukah themed parody/pastiche of The original song?

Great delivery though.

1 Like

Better yet, he made amends for his actions.

1 Like

I’d done that so often in my metal / noise punk / power pop days. Funny he didn’t have a stick jammed in the bass drum lug.

Honestly I was a little disappointed dave played it so ‘straight’ pattern-wise (which is what ‘pro’ drummers do (for better or worse)). Mike mixed up the sequence and patterns of the snare-kick combinations a lot more. Worse, though, Dave didn’t recreate that weird downbeat reversal in the middle where mike either got lost for a measure or did it on purpose (I hope the latter). I’d have to relisten to the BB appearance on letterman and see/hear if he did it there too.

In any case, that song/video never fails to put a smile on my face. Peak BB/Jonze IDGAF creativity.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.