Watch Dave Grohl sing "Copacabana," "Blitzkreig Bop," and "Jump" for Hanukkah (and yes, they're all terrific)

Originally published at: Watch Dave Grohl sing "Copacabana," "Blitzkreig Bop," and "Jump" for Hanukkah (and yes, they're all terrific) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I’ve been enjoying these! Their cover of Stay was hilarious!

Also, to all the Jewish happy mutants…

Holiday Happy Holidays GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

15 Likes

yeah, the Lisa Loeb one was a real surprise – right out of left field. i love his commitment to each bit, like miming the Diamond Dave bits from the Jump video, and even wearing a dress that looks similar to Lisa’s in her original video. in the Copacabana video, he not only dresses like a lounge singer, he also makes a great 70s session drummer.

12 Likes

I mean, come on, Blitzkrieg Bop is just… so perfect! Loving these, what a great thing.

7 Likes

“Hey! Oy! Let’s Goy!”

8 Likes

11 Likes

Could have used this footage for background video for the Ramones cover.

(All cued up.)

or this

2 Likes

Dave Grohl live a couple of towns over from me, and a friend ran into him and his daughter on the beach some time back. He’d set up next to them at a small fairly locals only beach in Laguna Beach, and she thought he looked familiar (she’s not really a music person). Their daughters were playing, and she said she asked if he went to the same high school she did. Reportedly, he laughed, and said, no, he was in a band. And then she figured it out… Said he was a really cool and down to earth guy (but everyone here already suspected that eh?)

8 Likes

His face at 2:40!!

2 Likes

They’re all cute/fine/good. But the Jump cover is solid without the gimmicks. If someone told me that Dave Grohl randomly covered Van Halen and I heard this I’d be into it.

1 Like

Not sure what makes any of these Hanukkah songs… I guess the original artists are Jewish?

Either way, Dave Grohl might be the greatest human to ever walk the Earth.

Can’t even think of a close second.

2 Likes

I hadn’t even put that together, I figured Grohl and Kurstin were just having a fun time during Hanukkah doing some cover songs.

1 Like

Yep, there are notes below each video giving the name of the original artist/singer who is Jewish. Blitzkrieg Bop is the only one where the tune is slightly modified to make it feel more Hanukkah-ish.

Tonight’s entry: Violet Grohl singing “Take the Box” by Amy Winehouse. His daughter has talent for sure and she does a great job carrying the tune with a bit of Amy’s singing style.

8 Likes

Wow, she’s got a great voice!

6 Likes

OMG. This is from today. So great (and one of my favorite Billy Joel songs)

5 Likes

Yes

Yes

Because Fred Rogers is no longer with us.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.