The Four Horsemen of Gentrification: Brine, Snark, Brunch, Whole Foods

It’s the term used to reference non-European cultures.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that individual recognizes the term “European” or “culture.”

6 Likes

Maybe, but that’s what I was getting at - “white” people do have ethnicities.

But the practice seems to be more common in the US than in Europe.

What does this sensory gestalt mean by “individual”?

Not by popular culture in America. There are whole books written on this phenomena over the last century of “whiteness.”

3 Likes

White food is just an amalgam of every other cultures food that we thought tasted good. :wink:

2 Likes

Most of what I have read seems to frame it as being rather an arbitrary and inaccurate category. Depending upon which sketchy definition one chooses, the entire hegemony shifts.

My parents consider themselves white, despite both being of the same mixed race. But it has always seemed insubstantial to me because when I ask them, they don’t really have any specific traditions or values to align themselves with. How can you be a member of a category which you refuse to define? This then suggests that it is more a matter of their “identity politics”. Yet, most people seem to distress at the notion of race being a matter of preferred personal identity. As seriously as many seem to take the concept of race (and by association, ethnicity), it can be hard to not write it off as being a morass of deliberate self-contradiction.

Taste? Oh, I’m not so sure about that… XD

3 Likes

Huh, Wonder Bread Canada is a wholly different thing… inneresting!

“Weston Bakeries Limited announced that its Wonder Bread brands will now be completely free of artificial preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors.”

2 Likes

I don’t have anything at all against people who own homes, and I quite understand that homeowners desire to have their property maintain its value. In fact it’s a natural human tendency.

What I was observing is that to pass laws which make it difficult-approaching-impossible to develop vacant land in desirable communities, and then a decade or so later to bemoan the lack of moderate-income housing, is an indication that reality is being poorly grasped.

(edited to fix poor wording)

People around me have gotten quite a few lectures about the horrible stuff which seems to pass as “bread”! It often has about fifty ingredients, with the texture and flavor of polyurethane foam. Leave it to bread “experts” to somehow screw up one of the simplest foods in the world…

1 Like

When I started making my own bread and realized how FAST it goes stale and moldy compared to the store bought stuff that lasts 10-14 days… I stopped buying bread altogether. And I’m a lazy bread maker, I don’t knead it, and my bread is just as light and fluffy as you’d want it, perfect for toast or just as a butter delivery device.

6 Likes

As someone once said: white people colonised the world for spices, and now they won’t even use them.

12 Likes

My local market has an aisle for me…

21 Likes
2 Likes

6 Likes

I’m not talking about limiting housing stock, really, just making sure that prime land in the city doesn’t just go to only people who can afford it. I don’t think rent controls and building limits are the same thing. the resources in the city should be available to all who live in and near the city, not just a few people who can afford it.

2 Likes

One time, I went into a Kroger, and the “ethnic” food aisle actually said “oriental”… I never went back to that particular Kroger again!

2 Likes

I don’t mind it so much, when used consistently, but it usually isn’t. European groceries are oriental to everybody in the US, while Maine lobsters are oriental to somebody in California. People tend to obliviously do the same thing with western/occidental. East and west are relative positions, which I understand as being classically relevant to the geography of Europe. But many also refer to the Americas as being a western culture, but not Senegal - which is also west of Europe.

Being referred to as oriental or occidental doesn’t matter to me either way, but I appreciate that many don’t like it. In conversation I tend to avoid oriental/occidental - eastern/western altogether because of the inconsistencies and to avoid confusion.

That’s my point, it’s considered a throwback, when the generally common accepted convention is now “Asian”… It’s like calling a black person either a negro or colored. It’s just not acceptable anymore.

1 Like

When it is the overculture, you don’t have to define it. It is the default, at least as most of its members see it. It is the thing against which other cultures or groups are measured.