The frozen houses of Lake Erie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/29/the-frozen-houses-of-lake-erie.html

6 Likes

For you, it’s the Apocalypse.
For Upstate New York, it’s Thursday.

26 Likes

Ahem, Western New York.

19 Likes

Don’t you know that Upstate starts at the sign saying, ‘Welcome to Yonkers’ and ends at the Canadian border? :slight_smile:

22 Likes

This can’t be good for the structures.

8 Likes

This is only twenty minutes from where I grew up. While something like this would happen every winter, one to three feet of ice is a bit extreme.

Of course, when I was a kid the lake would’ve been frozen over by now and we’d have moved on from ice spray to drunks thinking they can snowmobile to Canada and having to be rescued by the Coast Guard.

31 Likes

Yeah, I think this is probably the biggest factor. Just like the reports last week that Lake Michigan (I think?) was experiencing 15 ft swells, the impact of warmer winters only exacerbates the lake effect by keeping a lot more moisture in the air.

20 Likes

Sure, anything can be upstate of something else. Specificity is the soul of narrative.

4 Likes

Boy, that doesn’t bring back fond memories.

P.S. It’s 70 degrees and the sun is out in San Diego.

13 Likes

Say “hi” to Harry O for me.

10 Likes

7 Likes

The real question is what kind of black magic his neighbor in the blue house did to avoid Boreas’ wrath. I’d stay on their good side in the HOA meetings…

1 Like

It’s just the lake-facing sides of the homes that got coated, so I’m sure that house is covered in part as well.

15 Likes

I kind of heard that before… I think. Maybe. Not too sure at the moment.

4 Likes

Santa Clarita… just a few poofy clouds… and 69F. Lovely. (But I actually miss very chilly nights.)

3 Likes

John Hodgman. At least that’s who I heard it from.

1 Like

Please, please tell me you got the joke!

6 Likes

Not to make light of a serious problem, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the pictures was the Sagrada Família.

13 Likes

FTFY.

Also I did get the joke.

2 Likes

It’s 10 miles from Buffalo, and about as far from Canada.

It is Upstate NY by any definition.

1 Like