The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

She was asking a senior USAFA cadet in her chain of command for his advice as to what to do and he told her that the issue was her “being Jewish”. He suggested she at least “make an effort to try Christianity” and invited her to one of their cadet squadron twice-weekly bible studies which he apparently operates with others.

Our daughter was shocked and immediately told him that she had no interest in changing her Jewish faith. The senior cadet told her in reply that she shouldn’t think of it as “converting away from Judaism” but rather that “Christianity is just enlightened Judaism”!

20 Likes

Oh guess what- this happened in the air force at Colorado springs.
That’s a location that’s long been known for christian fundamentalism and attempts to push it into the armed forces.

18 Likes

The Air Force is overcompensating - “we may not be tougher than the Coast Guard - but we can be more bigoted!”

16 Likes

Since it came later, is Islam just enlightened Christianity?
No, I’m sure this fine person will be more than happy to use an Xbox controller to drop bombs on brown people the whole world over, but especially in the Middle East.

13 Likes
16 Likes

Why do people keep mispronouncing his name? It’s like the potato head.

11 Likes

Well of course he shows them contempt. “Those people” are only there to serve his ends.

9 Likes

Alison Brie What GIF

8 Likes

Reminds me of the opening scene in One night in Miami where Jim Brown heads to visit someone he knows outside Savannah (a rich white man) and is greeted warmly, until… he offers to come inside and help move furniture… As long as they are entertaining or serving the needs of white people, and stay in their place, it’s fine. Get out of “their place” and all hell breaks loose.

11 Likes

The same guy probably thinks that just one drop of non-white blood kicks people out of the white people’s club forever.

17 Likes

Washington Post- You know, we’ve not invaded anywhere for at least five minutes:

(archive link)

10 Likes

:astonished: I don’t know anything about his family, but if he’s got siblings Thanksgiving might be extra awkward this year!

bill hader lol GIF by Saturday Night Live

Or, maybe not…:nauseated_face: :grimacing:

17 Likes

I hope you don’t have friends who recommend Ayn Rand to you. The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail. She makes Mickey Spillane look like Dostoevsky.

Mickey Spillane (referenced in O’Connor’s letter) was a hugely popular mystery writer, who sold some 225 million books during his lifetime. According to his Washington Post obit, “his specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers.” Critics, appalled by the sex and violence in his books, dismissed his writing. But Ayn Rand defended him. In public, she said that Spillane was underrated. In her book The Romantic Manifesto, Rand put Spillane in some unexpected company when she wrote: “[Victor] Hugo gives me the feeling of entering a cathedral–Dostoevsky gives me the feeling of entering a chamber of horrors, but with a powerful guide–Spillane gives me the feeling of listening to a military band in a public park–Tolstoy gives me the feeling of an unsanitary backyard which I do not care to enter.” All of which goes to show that Ayn Rand’s literary taste was no better than her literature.

14 Likes

Gee, I wonder who he’s gonna blame for this.

12 Likes
12 Likes

Honestly, Herschel Walker probably needs his own thread at this point.

context:

14 Likes

Still, that character started working on a good foundation. She’s encouraging a bad actor to become much worse. :grimacing:

12 Likes

Wonder how much she’s scamming - strike that - charging him for such interesting advice.

13 Likes

It is virtually impossible for someone of his mother’s generation to be a ‘full blooded’ Cherokee, for reasons I’ve gone into many times on this BBS.

But it’s interesting for someone who knows he’s Black to make that claim, as so many people who were told their “grandma was a Cherokee princess” (no such thing) discovered via DNA testing that in fact their family was covering up African heritage somewhere in the family line.

16 Likes
11 Likes