The Getty Museum's "Macabre Minute with Mel" dives into the gruesome deaths of saints depicted in medieval manuscripts

Originally published at: The Getty Museum's "Macabre Minute with Mel" dives into the gruesome deaths of saints depicted in medieval manuscripts | Boing Boing

1 Like

Some of the deaths are more gruesome, but in terms of imagery St. Sebastian remains everyone’s favourite.

2 Likes

Always happy to point out that St. Laurent is the patron saint of Barbecue (because he was spit roasted (“Turn me over, I’m done on this side”)) - which is extra interesting in Montreal - as St. Laurent is the street where you go to get the famous smoked meat.

On a less gruesome note, St. Bridget once made enough beer for 6 parishes with only one measure of grain and one measure of hops. (there was a tradition of the churches to provide beer during a certain religious holiday, but one year all the churches were short on supplies) Now that’s the kind of miracle I can get behind.

Lives of the Saints make for great reading.

4 Likes

In Catholic grade school we were given holy cards depicting the gruesome deaths of martyred saints. At the time it seemed perfectly normal, but now…?

Here is one of my favorites-the disembowelling of Saint Erasmus:

1 Like

Well, a Saint can hardly die peacefully in their sleep after a long day of sitting around the house watching TV, can they?

No, they HAVE to die in the most agonizing way because so did old JC himself - part of the narrative of doing the right thing despite those against you and your message (even if that message is total crap).

Seems unless there’s some gruesome ending to a life’s work promoting the Lord/one’s self, then it’s all a waste.

Hence why Trump claims to be the target of arrows and slings… the martyr thing is good business.

2 Likes

As @beauwillamson stated above, St. Lawrence is always portrayed with a gridiron because he was roasted alive.

When he appeared at the Pearly Gates, he was greeted personally by St. Peter, who exclaimed,

“Lawrence! Well done!”

5 Likes

Despicable Me Lol GIF

2 Likes

So if I ever pick up the paintbrush again and do “fine art”, my plan was to do a take on martyred saints.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.