Monks looking at beer

[Read the post]

IT’S A

2 Likes

@beschizza I’ll bite. After…?

It’s a dumb attempt at the Admiral Ackbar joke. I can’t remember why I thought it was relevant. Maybe I went from Trappist to Von Trapp to “It’s a trap”?

2 Likes

I get a kick out of happy people–any people–examining beer, but it comes a far distant second to the pleasure of drinking it.

1 Like

Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer! --Martin Luther

3 Likes

No, yours was pretty obvious, don’t worry.

Beshizza set us up with the “second favorite subreddit” comment. I was ready to post the exact same thing.

1 Like

Brewed the easy way!

1 Like

So, he didn’t believe sloth was one of those seven deadly sins the bible says will get you killed?

Quite a claim coming from the Sola Scriptura guy.

I don’t think that’s in the Bible. It’s from Aquinas, if memory serves me.

EDIT: How wrong I was. Thanks, Wiki.

Pope Gregory I revised this list to form the more common Seven Deadly Sins…

OMGgang!

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re derived from biblical lists, even though they’re not in the widely known “seven deadly sin” format. Two of the sources are in proverbs 6:16-19 and galatians.

Galatians lists both drunkenness and revelings as sins that would prevent inheriting the kingdom of god. So, pretty bad ones, I guess. Though not as bad as “blaspheming the holy spirit” which apparently is completely unforgivable. Good thing there’s no good way to interpret that one. You can accuse anyone of doing it. Probably as a way of threatening any adherent who doubts a little with hellfire.

But you probably already read that. In any case, Martin Luther’s views on drinking are clearly contradictory to what the bible says. I guess his personal interpretation skills didn’t really include reading comprehension.

I also don’t think “beer is bad” is in there. There are a few warnings about drunkenness, but I also remember somebody changing water into wine…

2 Likes

It’s no secret I have a bias. I ought to lay off every now and then.

I headed over to r/monkslookingatbeer and was instantly put in a foul mood at the sight of pope guardian-of -child-rapists.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.