The gig economy has come for eviction enforcement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/23/the-gig-economy-has-come-for-eviction-enforcement.html

2 Likes

Where is the main character from the film, “Hobo with a shotgun” when you need him?

7 Likes

What would it take to"disrupt" the labor side of this? Maybe a system to generate thousands of new android accounts that install the app onto emulators? Then the system could automatically accept the jobs… and then just not do them.

7 Likes

Hm. A whole fascist state built up from gig jobs?

Stazee would be a nice app name. (After they bust the police unions, that could be a niche.)

16 Likes

I’ve read articles that mention you need to pay to be able to get jobs, which would make an attack like this less feasible.

3 Likes

Crowdfund it!

7 Likes

The thug economy.

12 Likes

“Exploit all the things!!”

[what you get when the gig-economy meets a bottom-feeder f*ck barrel industry]

10 Likes

What’s the problem with this? Y’all precious snow flakes think you don’t need to pay rent.

Huh, who could be knocking so loudly on my front door at this hour? BRB…

8 Likes

Seems like a good job, you can probably get good tips from people if you report they weren’t home or otherwise available.

3 Likes

Except Friend Computer will very quickly note your inability to ‘complete’ sufficient jobs in the expected period and no longer assign you jobs.

4 Likes

Quite a strategy to sic the precariously employed on their own kith.

5 Likes

"I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half. " – Jay Gould (attributed)

12 Likes

So now we’re using the financial desperation and indifferent cruelty as a way to get strangers who can’t find work to evict strangers undergoing financial desperation and indifferent cruelty…who can’t find work…as a business model?

Like, people are literally being paid to help enforce the same situation on others if they don’t get scratch together themselves?

I could never duplicate this form of Faustian machination economy if I tried.

Every time I think I’ve seen the real bottom of the bucket this year, zombie Billy Mays shows up

12 Likes

The app should be called Raus.

4 Likes

Also, I didn’t realise this would be prescient quite so soon (albeit with somewhat fewer designer drugs and DRMed body enhancments - for now):

6 Likes

We’ve had the DRMed body enhancements for a while. See insulin pumps.

6 Likes

Instead of employing the plebians to evict the plebians, in a never ending nightmare circle, how about an app that attacks the roots of the problem- something that makes a gig economy for the same fucked over populace to firing, jailing, and fining the assholes in power and responsible for this hell thrown out?

Like, an app that leads to public shaming, legal, and financial consequences for Wells Fargo CEOs, hedge fund managers, and Republicans in congress?

6 Likes

Come now, let’s be Civvl about this… :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

No thanks.

I prefer the COVID-generated “corpse stacker” jobs.

Soon I hope to move up to gravedigger, or pyre-tender.

Less guilt, and no complaining and threats from the victims.

Plus you get to work alone. Sort of.

corpse

7 Likes