The Gravita is a trippy lamp that shines while levitating in thin air

Originally published at: The Gravita is a trippy lamp that shines while levitating in thin air | Boing Boing

The tesxt separately describes this an efficient lamp, and as being powered through induction. These two things don’t go together.

10 Likes

The Gravita is a trippy lamp that shines while levitating in thin air

9 Likes
8 Likes

Thanks for that link. My first impression was that at first glance it looks cool, but would I really want that to sit on my table for a couple of years. That article was much more illuminating.

3 Likes

I.e. not very bright. Much like most of the purchasers…

3 Likes

To be fair, it doesn’t matter how efficient it is, as the light is incredibly weak and it’s clearly using no power at all. A tiny pocket flashlight powered by a single battery will put out more lumens. You couldn’t actually use the lamp as, for example, a lamp.

2 Likes

Floating lamp and Bluetooth speaker in one! Who could ask for such life improvement in exchange for mere money?

However, I am still holding out for the premium model with wine cooler and smartphone-enabled bidet.

4 Likes

In this age of induction charging, batteries in everything, and bluetooth everywhere, it just doesn’t seem that incredible to see a wireless device that lights up on command. I mean the flashing light of any bluetooth device is about as mysterious as this.

1 Like

What, no built-in Rice Cooker? Where’s your ambition?

1 Like

There’s that bit in one of Gibson’s books (can’t remember if it’s the Bridge Trilogy or something earlier) where Our Protagonist hooks up with someone who’s job title is Lamp Editor. This is exactly the future where we need her and her big red pen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.