The Great Bucatini Shortage of 2020

Full of intrigue, mystery, coronavirus-related happenings, FDA, mysterious industry orgs, and links to some nice recipes:

4 Likes

hi im new here

Hello, hope you like proper sugo al Amatriciana, which is the best way to eat bucatini…

3 Likes

Bucatini is one of those pastas that, ever since I moved away from the Northeast, I kind of forget about until I see it in the specialty section of the pasta aisle, where it’s inevitably too expensive to be competitive with the more standard go-tos.

For years I couldn’t even reliably get orzo. Now that I’ve got offspring I’d like to find pastina as well, but that too is a challenge. Of course, now that I’m doing most of my grocery shopping online maybe I’ll just mail order some. What other pasta shapes should I be reminiscing about? (Ooh! Cavatelli!)

1 Like

i guess you cant go wrong with pork and cheese

3 Likes

That may be pertinent to the suspected conspiracy against De Cecco mentioned in the article.

It’s really good bronze die, slow dried pasta. And costs about the same as your major supermarket brands. It’s got a big presence in regular supermarkets. And until those markets started picking up some expensive speciality brands was pretty much the only brand I could find without going to expensive Italian markets selling shit like bucatini, orechette, paccheri, and the like.

Better selection, better quality at similar price and convenience to the bigger brands. And there’s still a lot of shapes I can’t find in general without looking for that De Cecco section at the better supermarkets.

Their products have been real thin on the ground since Covid started. I just bought a big ole sack of the stuff because one of the Independent grocers near here had more than elbows and angel hair in stock.

2 Likes

I just finished this article. It’s personally ironic, because prior to COVID, I don’t know that I’d ever tried bucatini. (Raised in New England, spent 3 months in Italy, years throughout US and other parts of the world, so it’s not a sheltered thing, just don’t recall coming across it.)
Until…(ba ba buuum) all the Pasta was getting sold out in March/April and we took a couple boxes of whatever was left on the shelves: bucatini.
It is great! For all the reasons mentioned in the article. I’m glad to know it’s on the way back.

2 Likes

You can make orzo. Just take any dry pasta and smash it all up to bits. Oh wait that’s forzo not orzo. Sorry, my bad.

1 Like

You can also make bucatini with spaghettoni and a li’l drill bit…

4 Likes

Tomato and pork, with added cheese!

Orechiette, gnocci sardi, paccheri… those are the first that come to my mind.

1 Like

Always got my eye out for some orechiette…

1 Like

Now is the season for cime di rape…

You can by an extruder on Amazon for fifteen bucks to make it yourself

1 Like

Strange. Bucatini is one of my go-to pastas, and I haven’t noticed a shortage. I do tend to buy it fresh rather than dry, though. It’s great for carbonara or with any sauce that will get up into the lumen of the pasta.

1 Like

Bucatini isn’t meant to be fresh, and I’ve never seen fresh bucatini. Or most other extruded/meant to be dried varieties.

Um…what do you think they have when they extrude it? It’s not extruded dry. What do you think people have when they extrude it at home?

I found “fancy in a bag and advertising bronze dies” bucatini at the store for $1.89. How exciting!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.