The great WORDLE topic (Part 1)

I thought I was gonna fail again but got in under the wire.

Wordle 234 6/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

3 Likes

Well, that was quick.

Wordle 234 2/6

:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

The only other guess I would have made for row two seemed a bit too obscure. Maybe.

My favorite part is thinking of a different word to start with every day, and as a “strategy” it seems to work fine for me.

3 Likes

Wordle 234 4/6

:white_large_square: :white_large_square: :white_large_square: :white_large_square: :green_square:
:white_large_square: :green_square: :white_large_square: :green_square: :green_square:
:white_large_square: :green_square: :white_large_square: :green_square: :green_square:
:green_square: :green_square: :green_square: :green_square: :green_square:

2 Likes

This is my approach too - pick a random starter based on whatever is on my mind at the time, and continue coming up with words that fit the known information until I win.

Thing is, Wordle is a lot easier than it may appear - six attempts is actually plenty. The creator of Absurdle has proved that it is possible to get to every word in the Wordle dictionary with no more than six guesses. And that’s using the Absurdle rules, which basically mean that each guess is the “worst” possible - the first guess is always all greys, the second is maybe a single yellow, and so on. As long as you’re not just wasting your guesses, any starting word is a good starting word.

5 Likes

Heck yes.

Wordle 234 2/6

:green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square:

(Meanwhile, I failed to get the word yesterday… my last guess had the first letter wrong.)

5 Likes

Was your starter word force?

5 Likes

Close; it was actually “forge”!

4 Likes

Im intrigued by this idea of guessing other peoples starters from the patterns.

I see you are still a fellow train enthusiast :wink:

4 Likes

I have a similar strategy (I use EARLS and usually INGOT as my first, because those came to me on day 2 as words with a spread of vowels, and I never bothered to optimize further), but as some others have suggested, it seems like a better strategy is to hunt for the consonants first. Reason being: you only have a few turns to find those consonants, but every guess will have vowels, so you’re going to be wasting future squares on bow elf if you find those vowels too early.

There’s plenty of times where the answer might be any of a few-different low-frequency consonants, such as B/M/N/W/F for _IGHT, so leaving it till later to figure those out might mean a few missed guesses.

That’s said, as I mentioned I haven’t bothered to “optimize” past the two random words I thought of on day 2.

4 Likes

Wordle 112 3/6

:green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:

3 Likes

Realistically it’s only M/N/F that are relevant in that list, since the Wordle solutions list excludes uncommon words even if the valid word dictionary doesn’t.

2 Likes

Wordle 234 3/6

:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square:

It’s pretty easy

2 Likes

We both seemed to have the same three letters. :wink:

Phew indeed, Wordle.

Wordle 234 6/6*

:black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:

5 Likes

After I solve the days word I head over to a crossword solving site and plug in the letters I had to see how many words I was up against.

There are 14 words with those 3 letters in those positions.

My wife got it on the first try once she had the same 3 letters.

3 Likes

A good strategy if you are able to notice that there are a large number of possible words with the letters you have available is to think of a throw-away guess that uses as many as possible.

For instance, in this one you had

_RA_E

There are a ton of words with those letters, and the odds of getting it in time are slim, depending on what you’ve eliminated.

In this case, several possible words started with G, F, T and B, so you could have a “throw-away” guess like GIFTS, which would have probably told you the first letter, so you’d probably get it on the next one. (Mutando mutandis for whatever letters you already had eliminated.)

The trick is noticing that there are a ton of possible words before going for your first guess, which I fail to do a lot.

4 Likes

Grrrr… I feel like i was missing the obvious, but at least I got there, which is good enough for me.

Wordle 235 5/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:

7 Likes

That was me yesterday, redeemed myself today with a little bit of luck though! Phew.

Wordle 234 3/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square:

6 Likes

If I can figure it out, I count it as a win, even if it takes me all six tries… but I’d like to improve my scores eventually. Four tries is my most common result; I don’t think that’s too bad.

7 Likes

That strategy doesn’t work in hard mode, which is what makes it hard mode, I guess.

2 Likes

Impressed myself this morning.

Wordle 235 3/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

4 Likes