The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

Well he has been walking for awhile now, so . . .

2 Likes

I would also have accepted Down By Law.

(And I have to watch Wings of Desire again - it’s been too long)

6 Likes

Also missing on that list: The White Ribbon (2009, Michael Haneke). I’m not a cineast, but I liked it and I read raving cineastic reviews at the time.

ETA: and I thought it was a great film. Not a good one, a great one.

4 Likes

Agreed.

I was just wondering the other day who, anywhere in filmmaking, might be the next Haneke.

3 Likes

John and the Hole was rather Hanekeian I thought. Certainly influenced.

Just watched the first episode of Brand New Cherry Flavor. Cautiously optimistic. Salazar and Keener are great. Hope it gets weirder.

Super excited about the final Evangelion movie but going to rewatch the first 3 first. Busy weekend!

3 Likes
4 Likes

Must watch. I love Haneke, sort of, but find it hard to actually watch his films sometimes. That came out in my lost decade+ of having a young family.

3 Likes

First Man is on the list, yet — based on the reaction of a certain swath of general public (flag-wavers; the toxically patriotic; the willfully ignorant; child-like hero-worshippers) — the entire film was spoiling things up from start to finish: The beef had to do with the characterization of Armstrong. The loons expected a saint, flawless, cheerful, a universally lovable guy with a perfect family life… and not what was gleaned from his biography (the only one authorized by him) and accounts from his sons (who saw and approved of the film).

Blurred above so not to spoil things too much for any unlikely visitors to BBS.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I somehow managed to watch the entire TV series and all of the movies between the time of the Amazon announcement and the actual release of 3.0 + 1.0. It was completely unnecessary, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The new movie surprisingly put a nice cap on all of it. I had no idea of what to expect going in. It was good! Felt like an ending to the series by a man who has been able to take a new perspective on things two and a half decades later.

1 Like

(Photographer unknown. Unless you know.)

6 Likes

They were taken by makeup supervisor Alan Friedman

9 Likes

Nice find!!

7 Likes

The first love of a boy, a stand-uo comedy artist who was raised by wolves, an artist pursuing her vision, hypnosis, yakuza, ghosts and a weird family. Boy, this is one of my favorite japanese movies.

7 Likes

Yes! I loved it too. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Could it possibly be creepier than Jane trying to annoy a vegetarian in an episode of Coupling? :thinking:

3 Likes

10 Likes