The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

I am not, but the opening scene with her crew being killed by Lilith (which, that name alone! Come on now! She’s a new shark species and they named her LILITH!!! :laughing: and then Sophia gets dragged down quickly by the shark, and she just got some blood coming out of her ears? how did that not just out and kill her, given how quick she went down and how far it seemed like she was going!!!

I’m also wondering now what was the cause of the shark evolving? Was it the pollution? It must have been the pollution, right? :thinking:

3 Likes

They are related, in the “inspired by true events” as-detailed-in-that-very-book sense. The characters are all based on the real people, and the events are all based on their (and other’s) actual missions, but AMPED TO 11 for MOVIE!!!

2 Likes

The film is a bit cartoony. A good time killer, but nothing to take seriously. My boy pet peeve Alan Ritchson is a bit miscast. He was way too buff for the period and his role.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I SO MISS my Rocky days. I was a pretty good Brad.

7 Likes

The sequel, Shock Treatment would be a decent enough modern musical if not for the existence of Rocky Horror. It lacks the mad queer energy of the first film and settles for broad satire on consumer culture.

Full film is on YouTube.

6 Likes

ASSHOLE!!

9 Likes

Oh dear…

Cleopatra entertainment… the soundtrack seems interesting… :grimacing:

3 Likes

Went to my first in-person RHPS this weekend with my kid and BF; good times.

I dressed up as Frank, because I just happen to keep a closet full of costumes/props; including corsets, fishnet garters and pearls.

7 Likes

Hmmmm.

4 Likes

I dunno, there are lots of schools of thought on what constitutes an appropriate restoration, and this is just one of 'em. Those of us who aren’t sentimental about preserving defects like grain are from another school, a position shared by more than a few directors. Calling the Aliens remaster “ruined” is just silly - it looks fantastic, as does his new Abyss release (haven’t seen the new True Lies remastering, but never had much affection for that movie anyway). Cameron didn’t pull a Lucas here - he just cleaned up a famously compromised film (it was shot on shitty filmstock, the only stuff Cameron had available to him) to make it look as good as it possibily can on modern equipment. There are ways to degrade it if a viewer wants to imagine they’re watching it in a grindhouse, but in this case case I prefer the cleaned-up version. Now, if we want to debate some of the stuff he included in his extended version, I’ve got some hot takes…

2 Likes

[ETA]

:rage:

[ETA]

3 Likes
2 Likes

This is an absolutely bonkers film… just… wrong in just about every way possible, but pretty entertaining, just because it makes… no sense…

scarlett johansson lucy GIF

7 Likes

Finally got around to this last night:

Delightful screwball action comedy about teen assassins forced to become roommates and find part-time jobs. Wild violence and social satire with a pair of charmingly amoral characters at the center. Low budget, but the two big action scenes are top-notch and the best parts of the movie are the girls just chilling at their apartment anyway.

Don’t know why I waited 3 years to watch! Going to watch the sequel tonight, which I hear is even better!

3 Likes
2 Likes

70 years ago one of the all time great 50’s SF/Horror films came out. Them!

6 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

You can watch it here:

2 Likes