The Happy Mutant's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion

cool. local weekly is hypercritical about such things.
still, from your and @Mindysan33 's posts, it doesn’t sound like one i’d be interested in, thanks.
besides, why mess with the first one with Swayze? didn’t think it needed redoing.
Edit:
in reply to @Mangochin , No Name Bar down in the lower keys would be about as close to a “roadhouse” as you could find here. definitely off the beaten track.

5 Likes

It definitely didn’t need remaking. But they remake movies all the time. That doesn’t bother me. Just do it well. A Star Is Born has been made 4 times now, I think? I’ve seen the last two, and they were both pretty good. I think the problem here is that rather than just try to retell that story and update it to today, they instead trying to make a completely different movie with the same title and similar premise, but, as Mindy said, make it “gritty”. I mean, if you want to watch some bloody, violent, and completely unrealistic fist fights, you might enjoy this. But it’s not a good movie. And there aren’t really any likeable characters. I don’t like movies where everyone is bad, even the “good” guys.

5 Likes
7 Likes

There are some good films where everyone is bad. The trick is making them where there is at least one person who is at least likable.

Examples: Sergio Leone Westerns, heist films, most depictions of Jesse James…

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s even a character in this version of Roadhouse who weirdly calls out that this is really the classic Western story of the stranger who rides into the corrupt town and cleans it up…and then she later acknowledges that Dalton is no hero. It’s like…why are you hitting us over the head with this analogy? Maybe that’s the other thing I didn’t like about this movie. It treats the audience like we’re morons who can’t figure this shit out.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I think I might literally watch Donald Glover read the phone book, if he filmed himself doing that.

6 Likes
1 Like

[

External link](https://www.playsuisse.ch/)Swiss Film Selection

SWI swissinfo.ch offers a selection of Swiss films chosen from the Swiss streaming platform Play Suisse to our international audience. These films are subtitled in English and are productions or co-productions of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation (SBC), to which SWI swissinfo.ch also belongs.

2 Likes

Have not watched this yet, but here is the next episode of Lynchpins!

2 Likes

A live action feature movie based upon the famous comic book and cartoon. Jesus and Buddha enjoy a wabisabi life in Japan when the evil side of religion attempts to take over the world.

3 Likes
1 Like

The content analysis of each film and TV show was generated with the ChatGPT 4o large language model.

Ugh…

2 Likes

Other than the original immigrant in the film, isn’t every character a mostly irredeemable jerk?
The animation is fantastic. Just wish the characters were more likable.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone could use a laugh or two right about now.

https://collider.com/best-2010s-comedy-movies-ranked/

4 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Would you believe I never watched this movie?

4 Likes

I remember watching it, and feeling sick from how it seems to revel in the same kind of shocking violence that it supposedly satirizes.

I think this movie is a better take on the “lovers who kill” theme (though “lovers” isn’t the right word her, since the girl is only 15) –

8 Likes

Meh. There isn’t a straight camera angle in the entire movie. Gave me a headache in the theater. It was kind of all over the place.

Thanks to Woody Harrelson’s amazing work ethic I’ve managed to see virtually all of his movies whether by choice or accident.

3 Likes

I remember that too. Stone tried way too hard for edginess with that movie.

3 Likes