The hardest tongue-twister

I know it with one extra word - “The sixth sick sheikh’s sixth sheep’s sick.”

I’m generally not very good at tongue-twisters, but that one I find very easy.

Les chaussettes de l’archiduchesse sont-elles sèches?
Archi-sèches!

evidently the MIT gents didn’t get to study German tongue twisters: Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid und Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut.

The Leith police dismisseth us

2 Likes

As has been stated…

I killed this one, wasn’t a challenge at all. Unique New York does me in. As do some of the others mentioned.

I didn’t have much trouble with it, and I also have a Midwestern accent.

I found it easy, and I do not have a midwestern accent.

In general I don’t find tongue twisters too hard, though. I just think about the pattern of the shape of the lips more that the words themselves. For example, for “She sells…” I just think “Sh, S, S, Sh, S, Sh.” That’s the only part I consciously think of. The rest my brain can do on autopilot.

One of my favorites, that I find pretty easy but most find surprisingly hard:

The crow flew over the river with a lump of raw liver.

I have to agree on the Midwest element. This one is definitely not the hardest I’ve seen, while the ‘Sixth Sheep’ is tricky.

Then again, going for brevity, the hardest thing I say on a regular basis is when I order an “Arnold Palmer.” Lots of individual variability when it comes to tongue twisters. . .

Oh, and of course:

I’m not a pheasant plucker,
I’m a pheasant plucker’s son,
I’m only plucking pheasants
till the pheasant plucker comes.

You have to say it pretty fast.

5 Likes

KISW in Seattle has a segment where they set one guy up to fail with things like that.

http://www2.kisw.com/listen/teds-year-fail-vs-fcc

I’m English, from Kent. It didn’t even register as a tongue-twister for me - no harder than repeating any other short sentence ten times fast. The “She sells sea shells” and “The sixth Sheikh’s” trip my up every time, by contrast.

That reminds me a lot of the Pinky and the Brain thing, but I think this pheasant plucker business is much funnier. LOL

Rubber baby buggy bumpers is still my favorite.

I’m not a pheasant plucker.

I wrote this one, and most people I ask have trouble saying it even once: “Pipsqueak cumquats”

Thank God! I hear his pet mustelid had a horrible accident.

+1 for another Midwestern accent with no problems saying the original tongue-twister.

1 Like

Good grief. What’s the point, if it doesn’t make any sense? It’s just stringing random words together to make noises. It’s a bit like nonsensical palindromes. Absolutely no point to them whatsoever.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen anything worse than “Irish wristwatch”. I can’t even say that one slowly.

1 Like