The history of Disneyland's ToonTown

Originally published at: The history of Disneyland's ToonTown | Boing Boing

3 Likes

When I was last at Disneyland a few years ago my friend insisted we visit ToonTown. I was skeptical but it turned out to be quite charming. The Imagineers put in more than enough of their typical detail work to make it engaging for adults as well as little kids. For example, Mickey’s house is set up to include a 1920s movie studio where Steamboat Willie was made.

4 Likes

They now have “Steamboat Pete” as a popular meet-and-greet character in Toontown. Still has both legs. I wonder how he ended up losing one later on?

3 Likes

Isn’t he Peg-Leg Pete?

4 Likes

The peg leg seemed to come and go over the decades. Maybe he was already missing a leg by Steamboat Willie but was wearing a more lifelike prosthetic that day.

I wonder if a person who had lost a limb would still be allowed to serve as a drill sergeant in WWII when he was Donald Duck’s long-suffering commanding officer. Of course, they already established that Donald was able to enlist despite having flat feet…

5 Likes

It wasnt unusual for those who become injured to continue their service as instructors.

6 Likes

Service guarantees citizenship.

3 Likes

fe64adfd-224a-4b91-a8e9-60ddf4cabbcc_text

7 Likes

You’re right, he had a peg leg when he was in one of those Alice shorts that Disney made in 1925. (A couple years before Mickey’s debut!)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.