The history of the S’more

HI think I was in my mid 20’s before I learned about s’mores. We roasted marshmallows as kids but that’s as far as it went. Now, I pretty much can’t stand marshmallows but as a parent I’m held captive to the tyranny of s’mores on every goddamned camping trip. The stickiness, the begging, the glaze-eyed stare of my little sugar-zombies, the shifty sneaking of a brick of chocolate when they think I’m not watching. I curse s’mores, I curse them! The kids just burn the goddamn marshmallows anyway. It ends up being an insulin bomb of sweetened carcinogen that they can’t stop eating on their own without an intervention that ends with no one happy. You have to clean the goo out of their hair and off their clothes and sleeping bags. S’mores suck.

3 Likes

Backyard fire pit or grill.

$29.44 at Walmart

I made a batch once, just for Sh!t$ & Giggles. They were messy to make (the kitchen counter looked like Scarface packed his lunch there), but they were a whole 'nother animal from store marshmallows. I didn’t even try to make them lower in sugar. [Sarcastically]: “Thanks a lot, Grey Devil, now I have to repeat the experiment with new parameters!”

Roger that! :bowl_with_spoon:

A lot of the recipes i see add stevia or artificial sweeteners, which i’m not keen on the taste. I wonder if just adding less sugar affects the consistency or taste any in a negative way

1 Like

My favorite breakfast diner (Lee’s in Gloucester) featured s’mores pancakes for Independence Day: a graham cracker flavored pancake filled with dark chocolate chips and topped with marshmallow syrup. It was so American that they put a flag in it.

4 Likes

Are they popular anywhere else other than the US? Growing up in Australia, I knew about them, but never tried to make them.

1 Like

People abroad are likely aware of it because of US media, i knew about them growing up in Venezuela but never tried it until moving here… despite all the fixings for it being readily available there.

2 Likes

I’ve always considered it a very US thing, possibly because of how popular graham crackers are for kids here anyway – putting chocolate and things on them isn’t a big stretch. I’m honestly unsure how prevalent/popular graham crackers are elsewhere as a sweetened biscuit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.