'Fluffernutter' is now an official Merriam-Webster dictionary word

Originally published at: 'Fluffernutter' is now an official Merriam-Webster dictionary word | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I only know about this thing because of the Expeditionary Force novels. Truly bizarre.

3 Likes

Still leaves some questions:

Creamy or chunky peanut butter?

Is Wonder Bread a must?

P.S. Great podcast episode ALL ABOUT marshmallow creme:

4 Likes

Me too! I’d never heard of it before. Though I want to try it

3 Likes
3 Likes

Damn Fluff snob. :crazy_face: Any fluff will do. My question is, why did it take so long? I’m over 60 and these sandwiches, and baloney and cheese were the mainstays of our lunches, and I’m sure they’ve been around longer than that.

9 Likes

creamy

6 Likes

Oddly enough, in some circles, fluffernutter is also used to describe people who have happy fun love and light, but absolutely insane, beliefs.

Usage: “Did you see that woman over there chanting to try to end world suffering? She believes that using essential oils and interpretive dance, she can realign the world’s chakras and cause enlightenment around the globe…” “Yeah, she’s kind of a fluffernutter, but she’s nice, so…”

7 Likes

Every time I try marshmallow creme, I’m disappointed. Like maybe I wish it was thicker or something? Maybe it’s just my dissatisfaction with life coloring my perceptions, or because of that time I fell and got a concussion while ice skating.

edit: maybe it’s because of the time I saw “the stuff” when I was young and what I really want is for it to take over my body

5 Likes

‘Fluffernutter’

No dude, just No!

3 Likes

I love a good fluffernutter, but my heart belongs to this Fluffernutter:

14 Likes

This definition is incomplete. “Fluffernutter” is one of the many secret names for my stripey orange and white tabby kitty.

Edit: wazroth beat me by a hair… :slight_smile:

10 Likes

My father used to make awesome Rice Krispies treats using a marshmallow creme called (I think) Hippolyte or Hypolite. Dad was also an amateur photographer and as a kid I wondered if there was some connection between the creme and the “hypo” fixer solution he used when developing film. Weird associations–it’s what being a kid is all about.

9 Likes

uh oh…

7 Likes

my aunt used to babysit me and dear brother when we were little. now she knew a thing or two about making sammies for kiddos, I tell you what!
she would put peanut butter (crunchy, Rusty, always crunchy) and a handful of those mini marshmallows between bread slices and grill it in butter on the griddle until the 'shmallers were melty and would burn a little mouth like a bite of molten lava!
great sandwich and good times!
fluffernutter? that’s cheatin

7 Likes

What, no. Where did you grow up?? I’m Massachusetts born and raised. You know, the birthplace of the Fluffernutter!!!

6 Likes

central texas, 1960s. don’t know if fluffernutter was even around back then, but if it was, our broke-ass fam didn’t have any.

3 Likes

They definitely were. Maybe it’s a New England thing. I grew up in Maine.

6 Likes

Somerville?

Both the birthplace of marshmallow fluff and the home of Teddies Peanut Butter. Good stuff all around.

4 Likes

You are all very strange people.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some vegemite on toast calling my name…

14 Likes