'Fluffernutter' is now an official Merriam-Webster dictionary word

Somerville, yes. Lynn is where it’s made now.

3 Likes

I think you spelled Happy Mutants wrong

6 Likes

I’m taking an informal poll on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Blazenhoff/status/1453458963874271236

4 Likes

I am stoked, mainly because the exotic foods of my Edeka (German) supermarket has Durkee-Mower’s Fluff (and even the strawberry fluff!) next to the hot sauces and Pop Tarts. I get perverse pleasure out of watching my German colleagues get grossed out that I would eat something so weird as a fluffernutter. The reactions are priceless when I also have a can of root beer to go along with it.

Now to convince Apple’s spell checker that fluffernutter doesn’t need to be underlined in red…

2 Likes

An addendum to your twitter poll: I blame my parents for insisting upon only buying “chunky” peanut butter. As much as I wanted to buck tradition, I found I needed those hated little bits of gravel in my peanut butter to properly trigger my childhood sense of wonder now that I myself am an old fart.

2 Likes

Probably because it’s a trademark. As is marshmallow fluff. And dictionaries don’t usually list trademarks or the trademark meaning.

So for example Snicker

Does not mention the candy bar.

Fluffernutter is probably just genericized enough at this point to qualify

1 Like

very clever. I see what you did there. :wink:
can’t wait to see the results!

3 Likes

I was born and raised in the US, and as far as I know I have neither had nor known anybody else who has had marshmallow fluff. I occasionally saw it in the grocery store as a kid, and that’s about it.

Currently, I live in France, and marshmallow fluff is one of the few things I can reliably find in the “American” section of the handful of grocery stores in my area that have such a section. And I have yet to meet an American in France who has ever purchased it. I wish they would replace it with graham crackers.

4 Likes

The fluffernutter sounds utterly vile and disgusting in a uniquely American way, to me. I can’t even imagine wanting to try it. But then, Canadians have a hard time explaining Tiger ice cream to you southerners. To each their own.

5 Likes

while I completely agree on the disgust for marshmallow fluff, I will continue to wonder at the tastes of folk who consume poutine.

tiger tail ice cream? why did you make me google that? maybe as dessert to the aforementioned chips smothered in some gravy and peas? I do love Canada :canada:

3 Likes

Oddly enough, I’ve seen that flavour combination sold in Dundee, here in Scotland, as “Dundee United” ice cream, alongside a less unusual blueberry ripple for Dundee

2 Likes

2 Likes

Results are in:
Screenshot 2021-10-27 183015

3 Likes

It was invented in the 10’s, heavily advertised by the 50s.

Marshmallow creme was invented in Mass, the major brand is owned by Durkee, still a NE regional brand. They own the fluffernutter trademark and advertised on it HEAVILY through mid century. But Marshmallow Fluff wasn’t really available in the south till the 90s. I have family who moved the the Carolinas then and got ril mad.

This makes it doubly frustrating that some try to claim Woopie Pies as a “Southern Classic”. One of the key ingredients is something you couldn’t even get there, that was invented in Massachusetts.

2 Likes

I feel seen.
fluffernutter

I’m a '66 vintage, grew up in Michigan, and had a few fluffernutters as a child. Yummy! smiley_abyt

1 Like

Fluffernutter and her litter mate, Nummy Muffin Coocool Butter.

Peas? Egad. Cheese curds please, much tastier.

3 Likes

oh, man! just made sourdough toast with “special butter” and a schmere of marmite for me and the mum. salty, bitter and sour, but sweet dreams!
no marshmallows or peanuts were harmed and I will be signing off now… :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Honestly, that would make you the first USian I’ve met who doesn’t like poutine. My consumption of it is limited only by my desire to not have heart disease by age 50.

First, it’s just “tiger”, no “tail”. Second, what you been googling, man. Peas? On poutine? Never. Gravy, cheese curd, fries. :wink:

Tiger ice cream is definitely a “greater than the sum of its parts” situation. The flavours don’t sound like they would work together, but the mix is a lovely flavour that is like neither of the constituent elements. :drooling_face:

Now do we need to talk about potato chip flavours? Ketchup, Dill Pickle, and All Dressed. Not the sad weak versions that Whole Foods sells to Americans, mind you. The Dill Pickle should make your sinuses bleed and All Dressed is like being punched in the face by a potato chip factory.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.