The Glory of the Fluffernutter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/19/the-glory-of-the-fluffernutter.html

5 Likes

My household fluffernutter > PB&J

But we do all prefer wheat bread to white.

4 Likes

You, my good man, are a gentleman of taste and culture extraordinaire.

7 Likes

I prefer peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Mmmmmm…

11 Likes

Old enough to remember the ads and the jingle.

My mom didn’t believe in that kind of junk food, even back in the 60s, so the only time I had a fluffernutter was at a friend’s house.

But I’m a grownup and can buy and eat whatever I want now. I had a fluffernutter earlier this year. There’s enough marshmallow glop in the jar – which I bought years ago – for one more. It separates into horrible transparent yellow and white layers, but it stirs back up nicely.

Good podcast on marshmallow creme:

7 Likes

Is there an area of the United States where consumption of Fluffernutters and Moon Pies intersect?

6 Likes

The fat kid was my best friend in 3d grade. He ate those. I had never heard of it.

2 Likes

I guess I’m just not a marshmellow fan.

Looks like a good way to ruin that beautiful food, peanut butter.

8 Likes

I’d never heard of the stuff it until my wife, a native New Englander, brought it up. She’d never heard of Koogle, a familiar product found in my Southern upbringing. So, we’re even.

10 Likes

Dunno, but now I want to go to there.

3 Likes

Huh . . . as a kid growing up on Long Island, I remember ads for Koogle (“Here comes Koogle with the koo-koo-koogley eyes!”) but I thought it was one of those deals where PB and jelly were squirted into the same jar, in vertical stripes.

5 Likes

Marshmallow CREME?

Abomination.

FLUFF OR BUST

7 Likes

The wife is a daughter of hippies who shunned the photon box for the most part of her childhood.

I remember the PB Jelly swirl! It all gets mixed inside right?! A real time saver.

3 Likes

19 Likes

I think you’ve just solved a mystery for me.

I’ve always wondered why the “American” section at French grocery stores always includes a large selection of peanut butters (which, I get, as the French themselves rarely eat it) and marshmallow fluff (which I didn’t think anybody ate). There are also a lot of American baby boomers here. I never factored in the baby boomers and their fluffernutting ways.

That said, I’m solidly in Gen X and lived my first 30-something years in the US, and can honestly say I’ve never even seen an actual fluffernutter in person, nor have I ever seen anybody buy the marshmallow fluff at a French grocery store. This is starting to feel like an elaborate, decades-long prank that the world is conspiring to pull on me…

10 Likes

JOIN US:

6 Likes

Gen X / Millenial from New England, we always had a jar in the house and fluffernutters were a summer day snack, on white bread only. When I moved out to California I used the word fluffernutter in a sentence and the person I was talking to cracked up and asked what I was talking about, which was my first time realizing it was a regionalism.

It’s so fondly loved that a friend asked her mother to fly some out for her. Good old mom packed up three jars of fluff in her suitcase and arrived in LA, opens her suitcase to pull out the treat for her kid … and all of the fluff had expanded in the flight and exploded on her suitcase.

12 Likes

They certainly do in Maine and other parts of New England where the diaspora of my in-laws live.

1 Like

This?

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of Goober?

https://goo.gl/images/XEpGk7https://goo.gl/images/XEpGk7

2 Likes