The Glory of the Fluffernutter

Ahhhh! I bet you’re right.

Or rather, I conflated them. Definitely remember Koogle, and the theme song, but mis-remembered the actual product.

1 Like

DONT. I think it’s West Virginia.

4 Likes

So - am I mistaken or is a fluffernutter an American version of the French Mont Blanc?
Marshmallow Fluff and Peanut Butter vs Meringue and Chestnut Puree?
Never before thought about it that way…

8 Likes

Thank you for posting this podcast.

Long ago I read that the marshmallow plant forms a gelatinous liquid and realized the marshmallows originally must have been made from plants, not gelatin and corn syrup. I’ve looked for recipes to no avail. This podcast is one of the few acknowledgements I’ve found that supports my idea.

When I mention to folks that I’d like to make marshmallows from scratch, they always say, “My friend does that. He says you need corn syrup and sugar.”

4 Likes

Keep looking! Something may turn up.

You might even ask the Gastropod folks.

2 Likes

Mums do seem to be the butt of some cosmic joke that takes their love and uses it to play pranks on them.

European friends of mine are utterly baffled by the idea of peanut butter (“what’s it for?”) and even more baffled by the idea of marshmallow fluff.

Like @anon30760835, I live near the world’s biggest (and only?) Fluff Festival, but to be honest… I hardly ever eat the stuff. It’s just too sweet for me these days. When I buy it, it’s to make chocolate fudge with.

2 Likes

Well, mentioning Lucky Charms at the end jarred loose a favorite childhood creation:
White bread, peanut butter, fluff, banana slices, and a sprinkling of Lucky Charms; served with a glass of milk on the side. You’re welcome.

2 Likes

If people like Fluffernutters so much, then why do they show such disdain for my favorite, marshmallow creme-filled chocolate bunnies?

3 Likes

Oldfarts may remember there used to be a northern equivalent of the Moon Pie called the Scooter Pie, made variously by Burry’s and Salerno. They’ve more or less disappeared, and I think the company that makes Moon Pies ended up buying them out, and now you can find Moon Pies in most of their former territories.

The Fluff Festival is fun once or twice, but it can make your hipster allergies act up.

5 Likes

Peanut Butter and Nutella - that’s a great combination.

Did anyone else eat peanut butter and raisin sandwiches? Also can be toasted.

2 Likes

Here’s a recipe for making marshmallows from the roots of the marshmallow plant, a la Euell Gibbons.

8 Likes

Oh thank you!

I knew a librarian could help.

3 Likes

I can confirm this. I grew up in CA, and had no idea what a fluffernutter was until college. Even if it had been a thing in our area, I suspect that my healthy eating Mom would sooner have fed us Cadbury Creme eggs as a meal than let us eat one of these.

4 Likes

I ease them down with a Schlitz, just like my mom did at breakfast time

4 Likes

fluffernutters were the rare secret treat at grandma’s house.

now that i’m an adult i hit marshmallow fluff with the crème brûlée torch…

4 Likes

Yes, but on the other hand, mums have super powers.

4 Likes

@RichardKaufman & @Ceran_Swicegood
Things from a New England childhood:
That Fluffernutter commercial and, of course, Fluffernutters :heavy_check_mark:
Scooter Pies :heavy_check_mark:
Major Mudd :heavy_check_mark:
Captain Boston :heavy_check_mark:
Rex Trailer :heavy_check_mark:
Hoodsies :heavy_check_mark:
Canada Mints (pink and green), Skybars, and NECCO Wafers :heavy_check_mark:

3 Likes

I love me a good fluffernutter, but my heart belongs to this Fluffernutter: