The history of the S’more

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/29/the-history-of-the-smore.html

4 Likes

You’re killing me Smalls

7 Likes

I’m trying to figure out when s’mores made the final transition from simple boy/girl scout campfire treat facilitated by industrial processes to multi-million-dollar late-capitalist product sensation. It’s not even limited to “put s’mores ingredients in other things like Pop Tarts” anymore either. Just the other day I saw a Hershey’s/Honey Maid/Jet-Puffed co-branded cardboard end-cap at the grocery store that had chocolate bars, graham crackers, and marshmallows on it with the words “S’MORES SLIDERS” printed on the front. Like, where are most people going to be making these, their gas-burning stove? (Perhaps in concession to the reality that most people aren’t going to build a campfire, the word “S’MORES” had a picture of a s’more with a basically-untoasted marshmallow in it as the letter O.)

3 Likes

My problem with smores is that they are insanely sweet, i can only ever eat like 2 max. Usually i stop at one.

7 Likes

Weather was often lousy during cub scout get togethers, so the burners on the stove did the job.

You and me both, it’s a sugar bomb. Best variation: swap out the mediocre Hershey bar (that never melts and is always hard and waxy) for a Reese’s Cup.

6 Likes

See, folks! Literally everything has a history! Even the humble s’more!

f0693010951e845ccfe27dfb71e74506acaa66e3c708bc176b85f86ad00a24a8_1

6 Likes

I believe the s’more just may be the greatest American dish that is lovingly handcrafted out of processed foods. The competition is stiff though!

2 Likes

This. Nutella also works well.

2 Likes

Try making them with dark chocolate, it helps balance out a bit.

5 Likes

I recently saw marshmallows that were specially sized for S’Mores. And yes, food industrial complex seems to have decided to push S’mores this year. Targé had a case devoted to them: a box with specially sized compartments to fit grahm crackers, hershey bars, and a bottom to be filled with marshmallows. A special little griddle for your gas grill to heat them up. Hershey branded toasting forks, etc.

3 Likes

I was thinking of doing that and also cutting the mallow in half as i always find that a smore has way too much of the stuff anyway. I’ve also considered making home-made versions of mashmallows as those typically can be made with less sugar. I haven’t attempted it yet but i have it banked away in case i ever want to try.

2 Likes

The very best s’mores are when you sub in the dark chocolate and omit both the marshmallow and the graham cracker.

6 Likes

And substitute the chocolate for alcohol.

7 Likes

The cardboard display is simply intended to evoke happy memories, and get you to impulsively buy them. Your money spends just as well whether you toast them over a fire, stovetop, or even if you forget them in your pantry.

5 Likes

Huh? I’ve got 18th and 19th century recipes that make marshmallows by the tray-full. It isn’t very time consuming or difficult compared to other confectionary of the era

4 Likes

I think I’m ready for s’less, because the s’more just ain’t making me happy.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Oh yeah?

Wrap them in bacon.

2 Likes

Welcome to 'murica

4 Likes

That first one at least actually looks really tasty. Having some savory to cut the sweet seems like it would work quite well.

1 Like