The Hollywood Writers and Actors' Strikes Discussion Thread

Yep. The celebrity movie star is a far rarer phenomenon than people understand. Some really do believe that the majority of actors are rich like Tom Cruise, but I’m guessing that they are a fraction of the many actors working today… this is a union representing well over 100,000 people (though I think that there are branches that are not on strike - they mentioned that some of the talent on NPR are represented by SAG and are not on strike, as they are covered under a different contract).

Yep. Especially since a major reason the show was so popular, was all the secondary characters who were getting underpaid during the whole run of the show… If they had just focused on Piper, that show would have tanked after the first season (not due to the lack of acting chops of Taylor Shilling, but primarily because the character was so… awful).

4 Likes

from

4 Likes

Adam breaking things down in layman’s terms to Hasan Piker

Variety speculating about possible cost cutting measures after the strike

2 Likes

Shame on Variety. Shame on them. “Go on strike? Guess what happens? You’ll be worse off.”

1 Like

There’s only one business case for “AI” currently: sack people.

Only one pitch to venture capital these days: use AI to sack people.

Techbros and moneybros are pathetic. Intellectually stunted.

8 Likes

(sorry about posting this ahead of you Mindy seeing how it’s from your neck of the woods)

ABC national coverage from yesterday

1 Like
2 Likes

Scab ads are already out there.

1 Like

Oddly enough, the best and simplest summary of what the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes are about is contained in this extremely sweary Phil Jupitus cartoon. People have been asking me to summarize. This does the job.

from

4 Likes

John Cusack on the terrible and unequal pay and shitty behaviour actors have to put up with.

I remember the guy who wrote Men in Black (which I don’t like, but was extremely popular, so much that they made a dozen sequels) used to tweet every year that he got his check and it turns out that MiB still hadn’t turned a profit. All those years later the studio accountants called it a loss making film rather than shell out a few dollars to a guy who made them all rich.

Hollywood accountants/execs make record company accountants/execs look good in comparison.
Actually not really when I think about it. So much of their shit is eerily similar.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Wow, amazing how poorly most actors, even well-known ones, are getting paid. Also amazing that they didn’t go on strike (again) far sooner!

6 Likes

Take your bets when the networks will start airing subtitled telenovelas, kdramas and anime. October, November or December?

3 Likes

Weaponizing the strike to fight their culture wars as well as the war against labor:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Saw this coming from a mile away

To that end, the network is importing a number of shows from within the Paramount ecosystem. Perhaps most notably, the hit series “Yellowstone” will make its broadcast debut on CBS on Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT beginning with Season 1. The show originated on Paramount Network, which is owned by Paramount Global, as is CBS.

CBS is also bringing “SEAL Team” back to the network, around two years after the military drama was shifted over to Paramount+. “SEAL Team” Season 5 will now air on CBS this fall on Thursdays at 10 p.m. Other shows coming to CBS from within Paramount include the docuseries “FBI True” on Tuesdays and a Paramount+ original to air on Mondays that will be announced at a later date.

Elsewhere, CBS is pairing reruns of the hit comedy series “Ghosts” with episodes of the original U.K. show on which the CBS version is based. Two episodes of the U.K. “Ghosts” will air on Thursdays back to back, leading into “SEAL Team.”

“The Amazing Race” and “Survivor” remain on the schedule for Wednesdays, with both shows still slated to run 90 minutes each. “Big Brother” and “The Challenge USA” are extending their runs into the fall.

The game shows “The Price Is Right at Night” and “Let’s Make a Deal Primetime” will air on Fridays along with the new series “Raid the Cage” and fan-favorite reruns of “Blue Bloods.” CBS will also debut the new reality shows “Buddy Games” and “Lotería Loca.”

2 Likes

https://www.lamag.com/article/tree-pruning-universal-pictures-strike-spite/

According to Chris Stephens, the production studio took to the trimmers and pruned trees on sidewalks outside of its Los Angeles studios today (July 17), when the temperature was north of 90 degrees. Intentionally or not, the trees happen to run along the sidewalk where picketers are striking.

“Quick shoutout to the good people at @UniversalPics for trimming the trees that gave our picket line shade right before a 90+ degree week,” Stephens wrote.

4 Likes

6 Likes

For those wondering about going to see things or watching stuff thanks being streamed:

8 Likes

Glad that’s settled then. Part of me still wants what we want to be very thoroughly considered. Like we need to influence the numbers by watching and rewatching the shows we love most and want them to know we want more of.

But we’re still going to get a surge of reality TV.

And we can’t save shows like Willow.

4 Likes