Writers are out for the summer, and the strike is hitting home

Originally published at: Writers are out for the summer, and the strike is hitting home | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I sure miss their work but more power to 'em.

10 Likes

Their work contributes heavily to our modern culture, and they should be appropriately compensated for it. Their wages should also increase with inflation moving forward, and their rooms shouldn’t be short-staffed to cut production costs while people far removed from projects rake in cash based on title but not actual output.

Honestly, everyone everywhere should at least make a living wage regardless of work, but I’m just keeping to the WGA for now…with hopes this positively impacts other areas like The Animation Guild (who have it far worse).

11 Likes

Adam Conover has been posting videos from the picket lines:

10 Likes

As one author on Facebook wrote the film studios have no institutional memory though the writers do, so this will be a long drawn out strike just like the ones in the past. I fear it could be longer than past ones because capitalism is greedier than ever and they think they can break the unions. Well, they aren’t railroad workers and can’t be forced back on the job. My guess it’ll be fall before it’s settled, but won’t be surprised if it lasts until early 2024.

4 Likes

Nice, thanks for posting this and intro’ing me to Adam. I see earlier this year he posted a conversation with Cory, and it wasn’t his first time, he says. Nice! (And btw, I got my copy of Red Team Blues this week!)

2 Likes

Most people’s intro to Adam was his webseries turned tv show “Adam Ruins Everything” which is really worth checking out. I’m glad I helped you discover him.

5 Likes

Adam Ruins Everything is great! It’s like Penn & Teller’s Bullshit, but without the creepy libertarian politics and climate change denial. Quality rational/skeptical content, which is very hard to find. He’s not always 100% correct in his take on things, but he’s very very good.

7 Likes

Armed with AI, capitalism will drive a race to the bottom in terms of cost of creative resources. I’m expecting the west to soon experience a period where virtually all mass-market entertainment content is AI-generated. My hope is that eventually, enough people will get sick and tired of machine-generated content and realize that there’s - as yet - no substitute for real human creativity. I have to have faith that human beings still retain some inherent value far into the future, otherwise, there’s no hope for us.

4 Likes

There’s - as yet - no substitute for real human creativity

That what this stuff is, though. That’s what it’s for.

One might say that it’s not very good at it, and that is largely true. But it’s getting better very quickly.

Some say: artificial intelligence isn’t intelligence. Well, artificial grape isn’t grape, either.

3 Likes

And now he has a full length interview on the subject:

1 Like

WRT the current strike, though, it’s hard to imagine that scab AIs will have any meaningful impact. We’re still far away from AI making engaging content, even if mimics its forms fairly well. AI won’t be making anything worth watching for at least a few years, if ever. So, yeah, ultimately I share your long-term optimism, and am not particularly worried about the short term, either.

1 Like

Penn & Teller are climate deniers? Sigh.

1 Like

Yah they did a whole episode of Bullshit about how hybrids suck because they are bad at drag racing. The thesis was basically “we must keep using maximum gas so our cars don’t suck” which is pretty thinly veiled climate change denial.

2 Likes

I seem to remember an episode that was even more explicit than that in its climate denial. And there was definitely a very strange episode that attcked the whole idea that secondhand smoke could be a health hazard. That show did a lot to diminish those guys in my eyes.

2 Likes

Yah, me too. It was classic libertarian thought- getting some stuff so so right, but then not understanding when to stop and letting rationality cross-fade into ideology. As the saying goes, “every libertarian has five minutes of good material”. If they keep talking after that, they get batshit real real fast.

4 Likes

The secondhand smoke episode was irritating, but not as bad as the gun control episode where they argued that any degree of banning guns is useless because criminals will ignore the law :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.