Watch Conan O'Brien kill airtime during the last writer's strike by spinning his wedding ring

Originally published at: Watch Conan O'Brien kill airtime during the last writer's strike by spinning his wedding ring | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This strike is crazy - not the writers striking, but that the corps have forced them to: A) the writers’ demands are incredibly reasonable (and some aren’t even about writers gaining anything themselves, but improving the whole process), B) film and tv corporations are going to lose more money fighting this than it’s going to cost them to give in, C) the writer’s union is not going to back down, because: see (a) and because the demands are necessary - it’s not a sustainable system otherwise (for either writers or the industry as a whole), so they’ll eventually win anyways, D) the whole industry will be better off for the union winning, and the tv and film execs even know it, E) the corps can’t even claim they don’t have the money because they do - what’s being asked for could be covered by a couple percent of profits, or personally paid for from the salaries of the 8 top CEOs and they’d still have enough compensation left over to be obscenely wealthy.

11 Likes

I laughed way more during that writers’ strike than I had in years of Late Night. It was refreshing to get away from all the stale formulas the show had been doing for years to watch Conan do genuinely original material. It had the same energy as Davaid Letterman when he first had his show.

All that said, I do completely support the writers strike and wish them the best.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.