Explaining the Hollywood writers' strike

Originally published at: Explaining the Hollywood writers' strike | Boing Boing

1 Like

The studios and streaming companies have been particularly stupid in letting corporate greed run amok in this case. Screwing over writers over a relative pittance (from management’s perspective) is a bad idea to begin with; screwing over writers who are members of a strong union an even worse one; angering a union that’s part of a powerful industry-wide union structure worse still; doing so from corporate suites where top executives make multi-million dollar salaries still more idiotic; and to top it off, all this happens in the most culturally visible industry in the country, where consumers notice immediately if they don’t get their content.

6 Likes

Even more idiotic than that is to claim that you can’t afford to pay writers more when your top executives are getting multi-million dollar salaries.

5 Likes

I forgot to mention that the other people in the industry making multi-million dollar salaries – the celebrity on-screen talent – are almost unanimously supporting the writers in terms of public positions and sometimes money. The talk show hosts have shut down production rather than use or act like scabs.

6 Likes

Producers, “Tell me more about this, ‘ChatGTP’…”

7 Likes

I’m not even in a industry/function that can use ChatGPT and I hear at least once a day from an executive “so, can we use this ‘chatty geept’ to do X task? We could reduce headcount that way.”

I really hope I’m not at the company that melts down because they went all in on AI and removed the workers, because it is coming.

3 Likes

If there is one thing managers can be relied on to do, it is misuse poorly understood technology; and management techniques. If there is one thing managers can be relied on to do, it is misuse poorly understood technology, and management techniques; and economic theories. If there is one thing managers can be relied on to do, it is misuse poorly understood technology, and management techniques, and economic theories; and door knobs…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.