The Hollywood Writers and Actors' Strikes Discussion Thread

It’s a special effect. They know what audiences want.

5 Likes

That’s kind of like saying that especially angry protesters should actually execute the people they are protesting against instead of burning or hanging them in effigy.

3 Likes

Great comic, just needs proper credit.

It’s from Existential Comics by Corey Mohler.

3 Likes

Anyone know what companies are members of AMPTP? There doesn’t appear to be a list online…

1 Like

It includes at least all the major studios… I know that it does not include A24, because they came to a contract with these unions on their own, and are continuing to work.

https://archive.ph/wvbMr

5 Likes

There represent, apparently, over 350 production companies which sounds like a lot more than just the major studios.

It seems some actors do own studios which are represented, but without a complete list it’s not possible to tell who is on both sides.

2 Likes

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Maybe do a search then, if this information isn’t helpful to you?

3 Likes

I did and couldn’t find anything recent which is why I asked.

Apparently the AMPTP took down the list in ~2009. The old copy is archived but I imagine it is super out of date.

2 Likes

Probably on purpose.

Again, sorry I was no help. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like
4 Likes

10 spots about yours:

The comic was there, but as far as I saw it was lacking proper attribution. I just wanted to give the creator credit and let people know where to go for more.

2 Likes

Apologies! I’d just got into the office and was scrolling, and didn’t see that you had replied to the post, not to the thread in general.

Gotta go rescue some coffee.

1 Like
4 Likes

“Temporary”?

Come on Variety, those are scab writers.

Arizona Fontes GIF by GIPHY News

10 Likes

Real writers would know the right term.

5 Likes

Looks like General Hospital isn’t the only one:

In an angry post-strike blast, the WGA has publicly identified 28 writers — most of them working on soap operas — who resigned from the guild during the work stoppage by filing for financial core status.

The list includes several winners of daytime Emmys — Paula Cwikly (“The Young and the Restless,” “As the World Turns”), Hogan Sheffer (“Days of Our Lives,” “As the World Turns), Barbara J. Esensten (“The Guiding Light”), Dena Higley (“One Life to Live”) and John F. Smith (“The Young and the Restless,” “The Bold and the Beautiful”). Cwikly, Sheffer and Smith have also won WGA Awards.

Writer-director John Ridley (“Three Kings”), who disclosed he had gone fi-core in the middle of the strike, is among the best-known names.

Listed for the WGA West: Maria Arena, Marlene Poulter Clark, John F. Cosgrove, Cwikly, Esensten, Jeanne M. Grunwell, Dena Higley, Mark Christopher Higley, Meg Kelly, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Terry A. Meuer, Shawn Morrison, James E. Reilly, Ridley, Sheffer, John F. Smith, Darrell R. Thomas Jr., Gary Tomlin, Janine Vogelaar and Garin Wolf.

Listed for the WGA East: Priscilla Kay Alden, James Harmon Brown, Michael Conforti, Victor Gialanella, Josh Griffith, Frances Myers and Pete T. Rich.

Announcement comes two weeks after the disclosure that George Clooney had also gone fi-core last fall prior to the strike as a result of the WGA’s decision in a credit arbitration vote that Clooney would not get screen credit on “Leatherheads” (Daily Variety, April 4).

5 Likes

3 Likes

Yep. And pretty much that ugly too.

2 Likes

Though Clooney had a separate, preexisting gripe. Which I don’t know enough about to give him the solo digit salute just yet.

3 Likes