The Hollywood Writers and Actors' Strikes Discussion Thread

We’re about to see how conservative Hollywood executives really are for all to see

3 Likes
1 Like

The workers band together and start up Hollywood 2.0? :thinking:

2 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

There’s no business like show business.

3 Likes

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Who cares? Like… really… who cares. maybe instead of attacking people who get paid to look pretty on tv or in films, we should attack the system that demands women (and increasingly men, too) look a certain way or suffer in their job prospects?

2 Likes

It’s a completely broken system. They get pressured to look younger and younger, but one bad procedure and they either don’t resemble the same person anymore or they end up having difficulties with being able to express their emotions which is a career killer.

1 Like

But what does this have to do with the current labor action, other than pointing to much larger problems with misogyny in the industry? Your posting, sans comment, doesn’t seem to be making that connection, other than to shame women for doing what they need to do to keep their careers on track in a misogynistic industry… The context you gave here would have been really helpful to understand why you posted that story. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Shaming wasn’t my intention and I apologize if it came out that way.

3 Likes

Thank you… it’s hard to get intent of the poster by a bare link sometimes, so…

3 Likes

My big gripe with Barbie. I know it was ironic, but the rule of goats applies and I think they could have done better.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten to see it yet, so I can’t say about that either way, though the image of men in the marketing does seem to be pushing a certain “look” for men that’s meant to be aspirational… How they handle that in the film, I can’t say yet.

1 Like

[ETA] Adding this to here, since I have 2 in a row… but it also makes some sense to put these two together…

3 Likes

It is one of those weird (if you’re not in the industry) unforeseen side effects of the labor action. People are using this “down time” to get procedures that during normal filming schedules would be hard to fit in. I wonder if male actors are getting hair plugs, too…
And I might’ve missed it, but I haven’t seen anything yet about the effects on providers of craft services/food on set. Or tutors of the school aged actors.
So, plastic surgeons are getting a boost in business (from the people who can afford that), meanwhile, a whole ecosystem that supports entertainment is collapsing (if the ecosystem isn’t supporting it).
I’m for the strike and demands, but coverage in general media is leaving a whole bunch of people out of the reporting.

6 Likes

P.S. it seems like this might be a meaningful cross post?

The linked essay and the ensuing discussion on that thread do a good job illustrating the challenges faced by anyone trying to make it in the creative fields.
It might help people understand the environment the striking writers are living in. And why unionization is so important.

4 Likes

Another impressively stupid business practice

During an interview with The Wrap on the picket lines at Paramount Studios, Vasko, who also produced the Marvel TV show, explained why studios won’t agree to speedier payments.

“Their explanation was, then we wouldn’t be incentivized to work as hard,” she claimed. “It’s insulting to hear with the amount of work that we already do for free.”

5 Likes
1 Like

I don’t care what industry we’re talking about, if you don’t like the quality of work you get by paying people $(X)/hour you definitely aren’t going to like the quality of work you get by paying people $(<X)/hour.

6 Likes
3 Likes