The improvised talk show where guests are created on the spot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/07/the-improvised-talk-show-where-guests-are-created-on-the-spot.html

3 Likes

Dropout just keeps coming up with good stuff. The Game Changers are really a great watch, but I get some strange enjoyment out of their don’t laugh news segments.

1 Like

Which tends to remind this {gorm,feck,hap}less one of the fine efforts of “Philomena Cunk” (aka Diane Morgan) as a genuinely amusing British take on this particular artform: you-tube-ry

Philomena Cunk

4 Likes

thanks so much for putting “i am american number one superstar” into my head. where it will likely remain. and that was a very funny clip.

1 Like

I originally subscribed for Um, actually but there has been so much good content there. My favourite subscription.

1 Like

Just signed up for Dropout last month, and I’m working hard to only watch a show or two a night, just to make sure I don’t binge the site dry.

If I had more patience with Actual Play shows, I’m sure I could keep myself going with the Dimension 20 shows…

1 Like

They are utterly mortifying to watch. Cunk on Britain manages to be one of the funniest and most toe curling things on television. Between that, and The Graham Norton Show, the BBC has pretty much killed off the chat show on this side of the Pond.

Only the very weird One Show remains with its - courageous - approach of veering from heart-breaking stories of suffering and courage straight into a light hearted (minor) celebrity interview and then into a consumer advice spot.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how much on Space Ghost Coast to Coast was ad-libbed or scripted, or done in post, but some of the guests looked seriously confused about what was going on in their interviews.

3 Likes

I think the questions asked of the guests were generally pretty weird (and a number of them never quite understood the nature of the show they were being interviewed for). Plus the interviews were heavily edited, and the questions were often changed after the interviews for the sake of comedy and surreality…

1 Like

Vic is such a wild card on Game Changer, etc. It’s fun watching them play the straight guy in this series.

1 Like

I read that for the Cunk interviews, the guests are, of course, in on the joke, and coached to just respond to her as if she’s a very dense child.

2 Likes

Holy crap!
Thank satan, I can sit on the couch all day and watch things like this. I’m retired.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.