The Insect Apocalypse Is Here

Don’t worry about them, they just were on vacation in Germany and Switzerland. :wink:

Interestingly, I learned about a German program planning to spend 100m € on insect protection.

However, set in relation to the influence and financial impact of Bayer (remember they just bought Monsanto?) and the likes, 100m is just a fig leaf. Also, I am not at all sure this is going to be “new” money. I rather think this will be re-purposed.

3 Likes

there. I read the whole article…that was fucking depressing. fuck. FUUUUUUCK!!! the complete collapse of the complete ecosystem on earth seems inevitable; if you look at the numbers, humanity will in just one more generation be pretty lonely on the planet and thats just the tip of the shitberg. I am afraid the point of no return already passed 20 years ago and nothing can change that, except maybe an instant global catastrophe (and not this one in slow-mo) which throws us back at least 200 years in our technological development.

and we really, really have to overcome capitalism!

5 Likes

Interesting. High levels of NO2 apparently stimulate production of defensive chemicals in plants, reducing the food supply available to insects. Circling the drain, we are.

Must-read kerosene for your fire…

https://eand.co/how-capitalism-torched-the-planet-and-left-it-a-smoking-fascist-greenhouse-fe687e99f070

3 Likes

ja, have read it few weeks back; I was so fed up I couldnt even set a bookmark for it. sigh

This article suggests that perhaps questionable science reporting should be a larger concern.

what do you mean by “larger concern”?!? are you implying the insect-decline is just bad science, or is this sarcasm? the mentioned papers assumption for it may be deadwrong, not the fact of the declining itself.

myles power did a good video on the topic and he doesnt denies the declining in the slighest, just says the paper itself is extremly sloppy and seems BS:

edit/ oh, thats from 2014?!? I thought you meant that new paper :thinking:

and just as reminder; article and video are talking “managed beehives” here, not wildbees and insects in general.

Terrifying.

My own anecdote aligns with the article. I spend a fair bit of time in the countryside (in Eastern Canada) and most of the familiar life forms are still present but they are much rarer than they used to be just 20-30 years ago. Everything from the main nuisance insects (mosquitoes and black flies, aka bird and bat food) to other insects, birds, bats, amphibians and even some rodents are all much less visible than they used to be.

When I was a kid, we would see thousands of frogs and/or toads on the road during a summer rain… not anymore. There are still some around, but the number I’ll see even during a wet summer (as 2017 was) is in the single digits. Likewise for bats; I think I saw two all summer despite being there for at least 80 days in all, where we used to see at least a few any given evening around dusk. And so on.

I hope I’m wrong but I think we’ve set ourselves up for a repeat of the Late Bronze Age Collapse, only on a vastly bigger scale. If so, it’s going to be sudden and very, very ugly. Some of us may not be surprised, but it will be cold comfort.

2 Likes

H[quote=“Espresso, post:28, topic:133981”]
some
[/quote]

Monarch butterflies. Basically gone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.