The instinctive genius of Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights"

I’ve lured people in with The Man with the Child in His Eyes, too:

6 Likes

Maybe not, but that’s irrelevant. The point is that ‘Wuthering Heights’ was the first single release from ‘The Kick Inside’, and unlike anything anyone had heard before, and it brought Kate to the attention of the whole world, plus Kate became the first female artist to have an entirely self-written number one song in the British music Chart.

That’s what’s important in this context, personal preference doesn’t matter.

FWIW, ‘The Man With The Child In His Eyes’ is my favourite from that album, and Kate wrote that at age 14! A remarkable piece of songwriting.

4 Likes

My favourites are either “James” or “Oh to be in love”
The whole damn album was wonderfully weird and ethereal though, so it all counts

That was just brilliant on it’s own. I have nothing to add.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you could describe most great artists as having “instinctive genius,” as the concept of “genius” is generally believed to be something that can’t be learned or taught, or even controlled or consciously maintained. As I think on that, I realize the term, “instinctive genius,” could be considered somewhat redundant, however.

1 Like

I think the “instinctive” part here is that without formal training, Ms Bush would have had trouble articulating a theory of why she wrote the song the way she did, other than “it sounded good”. Her instinct would certainly have been nurtured by her prior experiences (and clearly her family would have heavily influenced that), but isn’t that what instinct is - doing a thing without consciously thinking about how to do it? Instinct can lead to a good action/outcome, an acceptable action/outcome, a bad action/outcome, and occasionally a genius outcome when the stars align just right.

IIRC, Gary Glitter and the Monkees - and anything from Stock, Aitken & Waterman - were deliberately manufactured to satiate musical mores, and in that sense were genius, but far from instinctive. The same thing could be said of the Apollo programme - there was an awful lot of genius involved, but I doubt a lot of instinct was involved.^

Regarding the video, as a music theory noob with ears made completely of cloth, I thought the presenters use of a guitar to stand in for a piano, coupled with a complete dearth of any explanation of why F following A flat was a boss move, was spectacularly un-useful.

^ sparks of intuition would have been dropping hard and fast all over the place, to get design balls rolling, but I doubt there was much left by the time Eagle was plopped atop that Saturn V. On the other hand, I get the impression that a whole lot of it come flooding back for Apollo 13.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know I needed Kate right now but that did the trick.

Came for the bio, read the comments, and then cried with joy with the most Wuthering.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.