The Institute of Illegal Images is a wonderland full of LSD blotter art

Originally published at: The Institute of Illegal Images is a wonderland full of LSD blotter art | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Groovy.

2 Likes

Trippy.

2 Likes

That one in the YouTube preview image looks eerily familiar.

2 Likes

‘Sir, why is the left corner missing from the bottom of this print?’

3 Likes

‘Your Honor, it was not missing until the DEA showed up with a search warrant to seize my property. Ask them!’

1 Like

oh man

What I don’t understand from the video is whether or not there is actually LSD on the prints.

The answer seems to be that there used to be, but it decays over time and that there is no intact LSD in them anymore. (I’m wary of Googling the exact length of time it remains potent… :thinking: )

The works of art on display in the institute are either reproductions of vintage designs or have long since faded to brown, indicating they’ve lost their potency. Even so, McCloud was threatened with life imprisonment after police tapped his phone and raided the institute to seize 400 framed pieces of art.

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/institute-of-illegal-images-lsd-art-16615568.php

1 Like

Can I just lick the wallpaper?

2 Likes

The sheet of recursive JR “Bob” Dobbs…s

Wow

3 Likes

I think I may have actually helped produce that. A friend of mine and I were asked to make a Beavis and Butthead graphic for an acid sheet in the early 90s. We grabbed images using an Amiga with a video toaster card. I don’t remember doing lettering, but we were told later that the sheet was added to the “LSD museum in San Francisco”. Moved there years later but I think I totally forgot about it and never tried to verify anything. Who knows?

2 Likes

I was going through my old papers from the eighties the other day, and found a blank sheet of undosed blotter paper and a Xerox page of a thousand tiny Dobbsheads. But the two never met. One of those (thankfully) unfinished projects.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.