The Internet can't decide if Grover is throwing the F-bomb or not

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/28/the-internet-cant-decide-if.html

4 Likes

Erm i just hear him say “ Yes that sounds like an excellent idea”. Why is this a thing?

Some people need to get out more. I need to get out more…

23 Likes

No matter how many times I listened to it. I never once heard “sounds like”. It was always the F bomb.

11 Likes

Blue! No wait…Laurel!!?

F#%^! :rage:

6 Likes

I think this one is related to the movements of the puppets mouth, rather than the frequency related illusion of laurel/yanny. Would it work at all without watching the images?

3 Likes

Was it “listened” or watched?
With my eyes closed, once I knew it was ‘sounds like’, I heard it. When I watched, having read the text where there was no indication of what he was supposed to have said, I heard ‘fucking’.

3 Likes

Same here. When watching and listening, I heard F bomb. When only listening to the clip without the visual I heard “sounds like”. In communication we use whatever clues we are given, including expression and body language, to infer meaning. So Grover’s inability to articulate his mouth to form the “s” sound leads to this misunderstanding. Kermit had a much more complex set of mouth shapes.

5 Likes

Both watching and/or listening, I only hear “sounds like.” At no point during my repeated experiences with the clip did I ever hear it the other way. Very much YMMV.

5 Likes

that sounds like an excellent idea
(that) (s + vowel + something) (k) (n) (excellent idea)

that’s a fucking excellent idea
(that + s) (vowel) (something + k + n) (excellent idea)

5 Likes

When just listening I can only hear “sounds like” and when watching I can only hear “fucking” even when I really try to hear “sounds like”.

1 Like

I need closure. Did they move the fucking camera or not?

35 Likes

I can’t figure out what this sounds like clip is supposed to fucking.

12 Likes

The first time I listened without watching very closely, and no question he said “sounds like”. Then I watched really closely and heard him say “fucking”. So I watched really closely again and covered the mouth with my thumb, and funny thing he started saying “sounds like” again! They must be watching me through the web cam…where is that fucking piece of tape…mumble…

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

(9 chars)

2 Likes

You know Muppets’ mouths don’t actually form the consonants, right?

4 Likes

Can’t tell with this one either.

https://youtu.be/6AXPnH0C9UA

2 Likes

And now i CAN"T hear the supposed “fucking” anymore even when i try, despite that that is how i first heard it. I do believe you and @Slida23 are correct.

2 Likes
14 Likes

I can hear him say both things. But while “that sounds like a” is pronounced normally, “that’s a fucking” sounds like it’s the backmasked version of heavy metal lyrics. Like he isn’t really saying it, because he isn’t, because it’s a fucking kid’s show and I’m not gonna argue the point, because I’m not searching for clicks or YouTube subscribers. What is even happening any more?

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t get this stuff… there was no swearing… clean out your ears, sober up, surround yourself with articulate and well-spoken people I guess…

Having said that, I worked on a meet-Santa type of TV show and coming back from break Santa picks up a young girl with his hands under her arms, fingers -totally- cupping her boobs and says “Well, that was a nice little breast we had, what do YOU want for Christmas?”…

Slip of the tongue? Maybe… the hands though… pedo pedo pedo.