The intrinsic comedy of a self-inflating airplane emergency escape slide

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/16/whoompf.html

4 Likes

so after seeing that, you expect me to just sit there on a plane AND NOT PULL THE CORD?!?!

30 Likes

It looks like it starts life in a relatively small cardboard box, one that could be carried into all sorts of interesting places, like for example a tour bus. That would get interesting really fast.

15 Likes

Gitmo Cellmate A: Whatcha in for?

Gitmo Cellmate B: Tasered for having too much fun.

16 Likes

does the pilot have to say ‘shoot’

2 Likes

two articles posit different methods of inflation - one states a chemical reaction:

and another compressed gas using a venturi to add to the volume for inflation:

3 Likes

wheeee 

2 Likes

Self-inflating Life Raft sulks quietly in the corner, remembering the days when they were the top banana…sniff.

8 Likes
7 Likes

One of those and some vegetable oil, shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

5 Likes

10 Likes

I call him jumpy

3 Likes

That will be my new party trick!!

1 Like

I once got invited to a tour of the United Airlines maintenance hangar at SFO, and the director in charge of evacuation slides gave us a similar demonstration. It unfurled with an incredibly loud bang and roar.

Interesting tidbit I learned that day – when the head flight attendant says “doors latched and cross checked” they are instructing the other flight attendants to “arm” the escape slides (if not already) on the doors. Once armed, the slides will deploy automatically when the door is opened. There is a small visual indicator letting people on the outside of the plane know whether the slides are armed preventing a gate agent from literally getting crushed to death by an escape slide.

8 Likes

If it works anything like a car airbag, you can expect some nice burn marks to go along with your broken bones. You could see a clear impression of wrinkles in the fabric burned onto my face for about a week after my buddy drove us into a wall.

6 Likes

The clever bit is getting it all put away again. Does it grant wishes, beyond, “Get me the fuck away from this blazing/sinking plane!”?

2 Likes

Best kids birthday party EVAH.
“Instant Bouncy Castle ! !!”

3 Likes

I hear that a lot.

3 Likes

But the remaining pickings would be somewhat slim

3 Likes

…and creatin’ a nuisance…

4 Likes