Delta evacuation slide falls from jet in sky, nobody hurt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/02/delta-evacuation-slide-falls-f.html

4 Likes

If it was inflated, I’d be looking for someone making an Indiana Jones style escape from the plane.

10 Likes

Fortunately, the falling people that followed landed in the neighbors yard.

4 Likes

Wha?! How?! These things are usually attached to the door inside the plane.

7 Likes

As I recall, a body did fall out of a wheel well a few years ago not far from where this happened. The neighborhood is on the approach path to Boston Logan International.

1 Like

I’m with you. This is weird.

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is that they had an extra?

3 Likes

No mention of Airliner model so it’s hard to judge specifics.

5 Likes

I gather that some aircraft have slides or rafts that extend from the wings for passengers exiting from the overwing emergency exits. It’s a good thing that this didn’t get wrapped around the tail making the plane difficult to control.

6 Likes

Flying without an inflatable is dangerous:

9 Likes

in Milton, south of Boston

This Old House has been on the air for so long now, that I think I can name more Boston-adjacent towns than those around my own city.

Not that anyone asked.

7 Likes

I’ve learned a ton of interesting stuff about airplanes from this guy’s channel (I think I discovered him via a post here on BoingBoing, in fact). There’s a good chance he’ll address how this may have happened in a future video.

3 Likes

this-old-house-tommy-dancing

There are not many animated gifs for This Old House… just in case anyone was wondering…

7 Likes

Can you imagine seeing this yourself, while you’re wandering around, minding your own business, not expecting to see part of an airplane falling from the sky?

No?

If I saw a loose-and-flappy airplane part on the ground, I’d assume the rigid metal bits had already landed a few minutes ago.

3 Likes

Side note: That guy’s front yard is HUGE.

3 Likes

Delta flight, Paris to Boston.

Seatguru suggests it was probably a 777-200?

Correction: the 777 belongs to Air France. If it was a Delta flagged aircraft it was probably(?) a 767-300(ER)

Edit: snap below.

5 Likes

ORLY?

Astoundingly, the GCAA report suggests that zero of the emergency slides functioned fully in their evacuation function. This issue was also raised following the evacuation of Asiana flight 214 , which crashed at San Francisco in 2013, where slides inflated inside the aircraft cabin of the Boeing 777-200ER. Is adequate scrutiny being given to this repeated problem?

ETA: Nope, 767 you say? Surely that doesn’t have known slide issues, too?

Why yes, yes it does. from 2015.

Federal aviation regulators are proposing safety fixes affecting more than 300 Boeing BA, -3.00% 767 jetliners to prevent the unexpected deployment of emergency escape slides.

Not a good day to be in Boeing PR.

4 Likes

Based on the arrival time, the carrier and the route, it was Delta DL405. A Boeing 767-300.

ETA: confirmed, by reading the linked articles.

6 Likes

ovOZ0zC

6 Likes

Yep. The 767 has overwing escape slides that deploy from just above the trailing edge of the wing:

3 Likes