The invention of mirrors and why they matter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/18/the-invention-of-mirrors-and-why-they-matter.html

11 Likes

Mirrors and copulation are abominable because they increase the number of men.

11 Likes

Mirror and fornication on the other hand: just good fun.

10 Likes

Ye gods! I hath grown corpulent!

10 Likes

I think Mr Borges said “Mirrors and fatherhood”. At least in the translation I read.

I just consider Despair of the Endless, who has the capability of looking back at you from any mirror in the universe…

5 Likes

Three Sacred Treasures of Japan are a mirror called “Yata no Kagami (representing the virtue of wisdom), a sword called Kusanagi (valour), and a jewel, Yasakani no Magatama (benevolence).”

“Mirrors in ancient Japan represented truth because they merely reflected what was shown, and were a source of much mystique and reverence (being uncommon items).”

After the sun goddess Amaterasu retreats to a cave and takes all the light with her, the gods hatch a plan to bring her back out. Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ame-no-Uzume), the goddess of dawn and mirth, dances lewdly and all the other gods laugh:

“Inside the cave, Amaterasu is surprised that the gods should show such mirth in her absence. Ame-no-Uzume answered that they were celebrating because another goddess, greater and more beautiful than her, had appeared. Curious, Amaterasu slid the boulder blocking the cave’s entrance and peeked out, at which Ame-no-Koyane and Futodama brought out the mirror (the Yata-no-Kagami) and held it before her. As Amaterasu, struck by her own reflection (apparently thinking it to be another deity), approached the mirror, Ame-no-Tajikarao took her hand and pulled her out of the cave, which was then immediately sealed with a straw rope, preventing her from going back inside. Thus was light restored to the world.”

I wonder if Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto is related to the Greek figure of Baubo who also does a lewd dance to distract Demeter from mourning the loss of Persephone.

12 Likes

18 Likes

The traditional gender symbol for female supposedly represents a hand mirror. It’s the symbol for Venus, and the alchemists’ symbol for copper, since Venus was supposed to have dominion over copper.

20 Likes

Cool, Today I Learned!

14 Likes

Sounds to me like somebody turned their thesis (or dissertation) into a book!

2 Likes

Does that mirror have a crossguard?

10 Likes

Maybe, but I hang my Hopes on one side and my Dreams on the other.

7 Likes

I think it’s a stylized representation of a traditional ancient design.

11 Likes

Interesting how people react to the non-reversing type:

8 Likes

Proof that you don’t see you like I see you.

8 Likes

So…it’s two mirrors at 90 degrees, and they don’t actually sell them [major foot fault]?
https://store.truemirror.com/collections/all (Well, for a round fee, yeah. Doesn’t even come with a little mirror roomba, you get to unmuck freestyle.)

11 Likes

Btw, yesterday I discovered the option in Zoom to hide my self view and I’m less neurotic in meetings now

8 Likes

Mirrors and holes and shiba-inu; frustration, taking it out on whoever’s around.

All first images are Beyonce.

Always be median-line squinching (those True Mirrors you look into the V?)

9 Likes

Nah, it all from the month being 340 days long. Once it becomes April you get down to the 29 day size.

8 Likes
8 Likes