The Jerry Springer Show ends production

“[Downey] was sued for $40 million after bringing then-stripper Kellie Everts onto the show and calling her a “slut,” a “pig,” a “hooker,” and a “tramp,” claiming that she had venereal diseases, and banging his pelvis against hers.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Downey_Jr.

1 Like

I saw a guy in Harlem last week wearing a Jerry Springer Security shirt and wondered how old the shirt must have been, not realizing the show was still being taped. Evidently not that old.

3 Likes

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Back in the 90s the Jerry Springer Show was a first for me. It was the first TV show that if I found out that someone I knew watched it and liked it unironically, I would be just completely disappointed and disgusted with that person.

Certainly a harbinger of things to come.

4 Likes

I don’t believe I’ve heard of that one before.

I prefer this one:

It’s too bad the subject matter stopped being topical; it’s a neat song. But it looks like people are still performing Jerry Springer: The Opera, at least.

5 Likes

Everyone should listen to this, if you have not already.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The show died a long time ago. The more recent incarnation is just a shadow of it’s former self.

OMG - that’s my favorite song on that album.

4 Likes

I prefer I Grieve, More Than This and Signal to Noise (in that order), but it’s an underrated album IMHO because it released so far after the zenith of Gabriel’s career.

3 Likes

Rendered obsolete by the current socio-political spectacle, no doubt.

4 Likes

I do liked More Than This and Signal to Noise as well. It has been awhile since I’ve listened to this album. It largely didn’t click… at least not like Us. Us is a masterpiece - every song on that album I really like. I think I first made out with someone to that album.

4 Likes

I liked Jerry. Well educated, articulate, a true success story, coming from a family of holocaust survivors. He knew the show was a goof and could live with that.

3 Likes

Yep. Come Talk to Me might be my favorite of Gabriel’s post-Genesis track. Secret World would make an excellent canoodling song. Kiss That Frog maybe not so much. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Both of those are really good. I LOVE Steam. And Blood of Eden. And I DO like Kiss that Frog. Though maybe it was due to feeling like a frog in 1992. And I went in the Mindblender - the immersive “ride” that toured around that played the video while it moved on an ultrawide screen. Kinda like a small Star Tours.

4 Likes

The Jerry Springer Show ends production

Wait… that show was produced?!

3 Likes

When I saw the headline, I was surprised that it still existed. It seems like an artifact of the 20th century.

It might just be that I haven’t watched actual TV TV, broadcast analog over the airwaves, since the 20th century.

4 Likes

I give you my favorite piece of sheet music from Jerry Springer, the Opera:

10 Likes

And I’m not gonna lie, I had a huge celebrity crush on Ricki Lake back then. With her sharp wit and humor she was my kinda woman.

3 Likes

I think that would depend on your canoodler. It’s got some pretty obvious sexual subtext.

1 Like

It never made sense to me how Morton Downey’s show came and went so quickly, and yet Springer’s persisted seemingly forever.

Perhaps he was slightly before his time? (I mean, we have Morton Downey for President now.)

2 Likes