Egypt's "Jon Stewart" made fun of the corrupt government and was forced to flee

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/30/our-fascinating-evening-with-b.html

This guy is awesome.

4 Likes

I think i recall reading about this guy here at BB or elsewhere years ago. He and his crew are definitely brave for having done what they did for a number of years. It’s sad that the host had to flee to keep his safety but i definitely applaud him for his efforts.

3 Likes

I don’t think Jon Stewart likes the “Jon Stewart of Egypt” comparison. He’s pretty quick to point out that he never took the kind of personal risks that Youssef has.

4 Likes

Naturally. Jon Stewart is privileged to not have to fear that authorities might kill or hurt him, but he definitely made a name for himself for being a wickedly funny yet intelligent voice for political commentary and satire. In that aspect then the comparison is a good descriptor for Youssef for those that might not be familiar with him.

3 Likes

Here is a good interview:

1 Like

Jon Stewart calls himself the “Bassem Youssef of America”

5 Likes

They’re both epic.

1 Like

FWIW he did a series of ~7 minute shows on Fusion last year called “Democracy Handbook” they are pretty good.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.