The 'Kaiju Cage-Match' shirt shows smackdown of strange creatures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/the-kaiju-cage-match-shirt.html

2 Likes

You can get it now for [$57.80](the price will go up with its popularity over time).

It’s Roger That! Wednesday!

3 Likes

This is inauspicious. The encapsulation of something cool and idolised into a consumer frippery is the beginning of the end of coolness for the thing.

Farewell, era, and on to the next.

3 Likes

Nitpicking here, but “button-down” shirt refers to a dress shirt with a collar that buttons down. This is either a “button-up” shirt, or more specifically, a camp shirt.

Whatever one calls it, I dig it, and super wish someone who loves and understands me would buy me one.

3 Likes

I applaud your nitpicking, but I am afraid that you have added a nit of your own regarding the collar. From Wikipedia:

A camp shirt , variously known as a cabin shirt , cabana shirt [1], and lounge shirt , is a loose, straight-cut, woven, short-sleeved button-front shirt or blouse with a simple placket front opening and a “camp collar” - a one-piece collar (no collar band) that can be worn open and spread or closed at the neck with a button and loop.

1 Like

What to wear when playing this:

No big-balled raccoons, though.

Tanukis aren’t really raccoons, and now that Japan has been invaded by actual raccoons, translating “tanuki” as “raccoon” leads to weird misunderstandings. I wish Pom Poko hadn’t done it :frowning: . Raccoons pretty much have hands, while tanuki have paws.

tanukiracoonl

But anyway, go here for plenty of big-balled tanukis!

But if they use a foreign word, the audience might get confused. What is this strange beast? Why can’t they have American animals like the rest of the world?

1 Like

Hands which do the devil’s work.

2 Likes

Good catch. I’ll be more careful to look at the collar closure in future. I wear a lot of these kinds of shirts (bowling, camp … not aloha/Hawaiian so much), and had always assumed “camp” was the general term for a casual, square-hemmed shirt.

1 Like

You lost me at “slim-fitting”. Ah well.

1 Like

I was also sure that a button-down shirt had button holes in the collar so it could, obviously, be buttoned down to the shirt front.
So came to check if the same nit had been picked.
@Rusty_Blazenhoff - may be worth an edit.

1 Like

Eh, Betabrand is a small company. They’re not going for the mass market. It’s not like it’s coming from Target.

the beginning of the end

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.