The Kelvin 23 Multi Tool is the worst thing I've ever bought

I have a hammer which is earily similar to this. Steel body all the way through. Inherited from my great grandfather.

As the great Hodgeman says, That Is All.

5 Likes

When I worked in a hardware store, oh, 35 years ago (OMG, what did I just say?) I used to warn customers about tools whose main function was extracting money from your wallet tend to not being very good at much else. Somehow I have no trouble recognizing these kinds of devices. I guess that isn’t a universal skill.

5 Likes

Actually in my experience, most inexpensive multi-tools are just terrible at several or more of their advertised functions*. This includes swiss army knives.

*Except for my MIDA Multi-tool. It has never failed me.

“Art is not a mirror - it is a Kelvin23”

Apparently, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

2 Likes

If you’re in a pinch, a 6x D-cell Maglite works quite well as a blunt-force hammer. Also convenient for scaring away bears and intimidating humans.

1 Like

Though, before the advent of LEDs, it was always important to distinguish between the illuminating end and the grievous bodily harm end; lest you do no further illuminating without a change of bulb.

3 Likes

but the best gift you’ve ever given to an enemy.

1 Like

If you buy a genuine swiss army knife - i.e. Victorinox or Wenger, they will be neither cheap nor terrible. Moreover, they come with lifetime warranty. Of course, they don’t include hammer as an advertised function (seriously, if someone thought that a hammer in an assembly full of joints and moving bits is going to be of any use or that the tools would last, they had to be delusional)

On the other hand, these multitools are designed to be used when regular tools aren’t available, not as a replacement for them. I am carrying my Cybertool in my bag and it has served me well for years at work
for dealing with the ocassional recalcitrant computer and electronics, but for regular repair you would still want a proper set of pliers, screw drivers and what not. The knife on it is excellent, though (as is on all Swiss army knives). My dad has a one of the camping knives from Victorinox and that one will probably outlast both him and me.

just wondering though, did they send this to you to review or did you buy it.

If the first, why would they do that?
If the second, why would you? It seems like really cheap just from the description.

for those suggesting this is for emergency use only…personally in an emergency i don’t want to f*ck around with a piece of crap that will fail, i only want things i can 100% rely on.

my two favorite multi-tools have almost unlimited uses:

7 Likes

Compared to fixed-function knives, swiss army knives are pretty miserable. They have the advantage, though, of a much much larger aura of harmlessness. They are on the TSA’s list, being almost as dangerous as shampoo; but even the NYPD probably won’t assume that you are on your way to the Sharks/Jets rumble with a deadly weapon.

You pull out a Ka-bar or the like and you’ll have a much better knife experience; but run a nontrivial risk of being misinterpreted.

1 Like

Well, of course a dedicated fixed knife will likely be better at being a
knife, but that is not really a fair comparison because their purpose is
not the same. If I want to go bear hunting or do serious cooking I will
certainly not take my Victorinox for that (but they do make excellent
knives for cooking and hunting too, not only the foldable “Swiss army”
ones).

As pocket foldable knives go, Victorinoxes are a pretty much a well proven
quantity. No idea about Wengers, never had one, but it is owned by the same
company as Victorinox now and they have been around for decades too.

1 Like

I think the suggestions for emergency use are sarcastic. However I’m also confused as to how well you’re going to hammer with either a butter knife or your hand

1 Like

An old friend of mine says an oldtimer told him, “Every tool in your toolbox is a hammer. Except the screwdriver: that’s a chisel.”

13 Likes

It’s actually worse than that - it also combines a hammer and a spirit level.

See, that’s where @beschizza went wrong - he failed to moisten the drywall for a full 24 hours. This is clearly user error, like holding your iPhone improperly. Always read the small print before you buy, Mr. Beschizzle!

Hey, that’s a perfectly cromulent method that has worked many times for me. Totally not kidding. Just choose a good rock, is all.

@japhroaig, that’s the classic Estwing with a stacked leather handle. Excellent tool, although the newer ones with the synthetic handles are easier to care for.

In Columbus movies, Queen Isabella is always a skinny babe. But in reality, she was a war leader with a well-deserved reputation for ferocity, and (perhaps apocryphally) drove nails with her bare hands to toughen herself up and impress people. Again, totally not kidding.

After hearing that story I attempted to drive nails with my hands and I can’t recommend it. If you insist on doing the experiment, remember that forged medieval nails would have broad, flattish heads unlike modern wire drawn nails. Use roofing nails and the heel of your hand and expect deep bruising. Modern framing nails will just punch holes in your fist, unless your skin is quite a lot harder and stiffer than wood.

Which is why you don’t keep spirit levels and rafter squares in the toolbox! :wink:

7 Likes

This is probably the most truthful review I’ve ever read here. I love it.

1 Like

Fantastic! The marks are illegible. But it has to be at least 70 years old, and is my favorite hammer by far.

http://www.estwing.com/img/ernest_estwing.jpg

2 Likes

They really are a great design; the head never comes off, the handle never breaks off below the head and the slim profile has advantages, too.

Stacked leather handles have some drawbacks, though, particularly in very dry or very ■■■■■ climates, so you should keep it indoors rather than out in the shed. But with decent care even the leather-handled ones should last a hundred years.

They make a half-decent hatchet with the same all-metal design. I prefer my axes and hatchets to have straight handles and the Estwing doesn’t have the best blade profile, but you never have to worry about a less skilled friend pounding the neck into splinters. So they are pretty great as shared or loaner tools.

1 Like
Do not stare directly at Kelvin 23 or point Kelvin 23 in the general vicinity of other human beings. Kelvin 23 may become hot enough to burn if exposed to iodine, coffee grounds, or various types of lettuce. Do not use Kelvin 23 if you are allergic to nuts or are currently using, or have ever used, facial cleansing products.... Get yours TODAY!

As a sidenote, I bought some garden shears of the Fiskars product line, and after approximately ten minutes of use they seized up for good. 0 stars–Would stab myself in the eye before purchasing again.