The KeySmart Key Holder gets your messy key situation under control

Originally published at: The KeySmart Key Holder gets your messy key situation under control | Boing Boing

I prefer this one as it can open more locks beyond what the KeySmart Key Holder, hence it more universal in skilled hands.

6 Likes

I have a KeySmart, the one with Tile integration.

It’s not so great. They’re very fiddly to assemble, with lots of small spacer discs and not a particularly obvious good way to put it all together. They can only hold housekeys reasonably. Anything longer or thicker - bike lock keys, Yubikeys, etc. make the awkward fit even worse. They tend to unscrew themselves during normal use, so you have to re-tighten them pretty frequently, lest they collapse into a shower of parts at an awkward moment. In totally petty problems, they include (or maybe sold me as an add-on?) a bottle opener that fits with it, but it’s terrible; the way it’s built makes it impossible to get decent leverage.

Would not recommend.

8 Likes

My experience also. Mine scattered the keys on a nearly freezing dark night in the rain when I was in a hurry and needed to be presentable at my destination, and there was an adjacent slotted cover for a storm drain.

4 Likes

does not include all shapes and sizes

I have two keys on my keyring: house and car. Anything else that I need goes on a keyring in my backpack where I can always get it if I need it.

just gonna add $0.02 from here:
first the Keys are messy. this is Florida, after all.
2nd, “Keys Smart” is an oxymoron (unless it is clandestine knowledge of the mangrove islets to hide a boat from FWC, coast guard or customs)
3rd, nobody holds all the Keys

1 Like

Animated GIF

1 Like

After using a Keysmart for years since their launch/inception, my keys were stolen and I had to replace the device. The newer versions definitely don’t seem with quite the same care and quality as the original one I had, as you will find pointed out in many recent reviews. I also started having issues where my pants would wear/tear in the place where the corners of the Keysmart would settle in my pocket. @Nathan_Williams is spot on with the spacer issues. Swapping keys out, or having unusually-shaped/sized keys just didn’t work.

I’ve since swapped over to the Orbitkey/possibly knockoff Orbitkey, which I am extremely satisfied with. Being able to resize on the fly, plus the softer fabric loop, makes it a no-brainer and addresses all the shortcomings I’d experienced with Keysmart. Though I saw someone in the reviews mention an issue similar to what @AlsoDiana mentioned, having the loop open in their purse and spill the keys out, but I’ve not experienced this issue, not had it even loosen, so perhaps defective unit?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.