The Land Before Time, "Scottish" edition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/24/the-land-before-time-scotti.html

2 Likes

My god, the ad targeting is uncanny.

But if I’m going to get the grants, do the robots need to be women?

“Scottish” edition

Of everything is a must, I tell you.

6 Likes

Those Scottish accents are painful…

4 Likes

If it’s not Scottish, it’s crap!

6 Likes

The LotR Shire theme was an amusing touch.

3 Likes

Na closed captioning fur th’ hearing impaired? That sooks!

2 Likes

Poor poor poor attempt at a Scots accent. Sad sad sad, could have been great.

Speaking as a scot - if you’d asked me to guess what accent that was meant to be, I wouldn’t have a clue!

10 Likes

Thirded, as a true Scotsman (yes, I know) - those are some truly abysmal attempts at Scottish accents.

6 Likes

The rest of the world thinks it can do a Scottish accent and we inevitably get it wrong… Or confuse it with a Welsh, Irish, or North English or East Ender accent… Sometimes, it just turns into an Australian accent.

To be fair, though, I’ve heard some pretty terrible American accents on British TV…

peri-tada|nullxnull

And Andrew Lincoln is great on Walking Dead, but his southern accent (which is meant to be southern Appalachia/foothills area - North GA and southern TN) isn’t great.

6 Likes

So would you have us belive that they were the accents of… no true Scotsman?

1 Like

I wonder if it’s possible to get so many takedown notices from different claimants that they cancel out. Simpsons Germs GIF - Simpsons Germs MrBurns GIFs|833x597.2452830188679

4 Likes
4 Likes

Obviously, these are terrible accents, but it does highlight our expectations of voice acting, where the influence of US media has set the standard where there is a fairly standard American accent which is “normal” and every other way of speaking (including the various Scottish accents) is considered to be a regional oddity.

It’s very noticeable in foreign language work that has been dubbed into English- it’s often jarring to see exactly how American it’s made to sound.

1 Like

Except where Peppa Pig is making children develop a British accent.

2 Likes

I think that’s less true than it used to be, but too often regional accents are not incredibly accurate. I think you can say the same of British TV where RP used to the the only accent you’d hear on TV (with the exception of man on the street type interviews, etc), and now you have much more diversity in accents. Doctor Who is a perfect example…

Don’t forget the popularity of Doctor Who in the states now.

1 Like

I though the “American” accent of Millicent van Buren in the wench is dead (old Inspector Morse story) was somewhat off-- and I still recall it as so years and years after the fact. Yet the actress, Lisa Eichhorn was born in New York.

I see why ‘Scottish’ was in quotes. Jesus. It’s like drunk people trying to imagine what a Scottish accent would sound like based purely on looking at a picture of a young Billy Connolly.

2 Likes