The Last Jedi thread (spoilers inside)

I think @LutherBlisset and I both meant it as a measure of intelligence, not awake-ness. Perhaps semi-sentient would have been a better descriptor.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Also, I think in my case, a linguistics drawback of my first language came through: we don’t distinguish between self-awareness and self-consciousness as the English speaking world does.

Porgs were actually born of necessity. The island they filmed on is inhabited by puffins. The puffins are protected so they couldn’t move them during shooting so instead of trying to digitally edit them out of the background they just created the Porgs to explain all the birds, especially in the wide shots.

4 Likes

For real? Got a link?

Linked to in that story:

6 Likes

Skellig Michael has one of the largest breeding colonies. And Puffins are on the decline, possibly at least in part due to changes in seasonal availablity of their food, which in turn changes due to climate change.

And, FTR, Puffins already look alien. Damn, these are dinosaurs…

This is getting more meta by the minute:

2 Likes

Hmm.

I felt the dark influence of 1-3 in this one.

Jedis keep making stupid mistakes. I did see a micro-second clip of the Jedi texts in the Millenium Falcon at the end, no? Rey saving from destruction the very texts Yoda had intended to destroy?

5 Likes

Yoda actually says something along the lines of “Rey already has all the knowledge in those books.”

7 Likes

Even Luke was basically throwing shade at the prequel movies with his rant about how at the height of their power the Jedi allowed the Sith to rise and destroy them. “Boy am I glad I wasn’t around to witness all that Clone War bullshit!”

Luke had intended to destroy the texts along with the tree temple, I got the impression (as @emo_pinata notes) that Yoda knew she’d already taken them.

9 Likes

Don’t you see that as an allusion to the rise of neoconservatism in the 60s-70s heyday of liberalism?

1 Like

Amazing article. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Well, the new movies have a pretty strong meta game going on. :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t think anyone who wants a movie review site shut down because they gave “too good” reviews to a thing they claim to be fans of is actually a fan.

Hmmm. Yes, but why would Yoda speak in riddles to Luke?

Why wouldn’t he?

Isn’t “speaking in riddles” Yoda’s default form of communication?

3 Likes

Oh for Glob’s sake, spell it out: anyone over the age of 12 who wants a review aggregator to be shut down because of “too good” (aggregated!) reviews is a moron. And quite possibly an attention seeker. On an empty street. Just an alley creeper. Light on his feet.

4 Likes

I still don’t have the chance to watch the movie in the theatre. I think I will watch it via online. However, I read some reviews and know the end of the movie, but still very excited to watch it later